Weekly Update From P1A

The children have had another busy learning week. We have been doing lots of filming of our Sharing the Learning. The children hope you enjoy seeing them working hard in and around the school. Some of this weeks learning the children would like to share with you.

Writing –

Our skills in persausive writing are developing really well (you can hear the children talking about them in our Sharing the Learning video). All the children are aware of what an opinion is and how to share it through their writing. This weeks topic was reading and why it is imoprtant. The children came up with lots of reasons such as -Sahel -“I will be able to read more books when I get older”, Conlon “I will have fun finding out new and interesting facts”etc.  Some examples below-

“b” and “h” sounds

This week the children have been introduced to “b” and “h”. They have been blending these sounds with others that they already know to create words. Some children are now reading short sentences. I am very proud of them!

Within our Sharing the Learning video there is a short number talk where the children are encourged to share their counting strategies. The aim is to find the most efficent way. I hope you find it interesting. We have been counting collections to 20 as well as consolidating knowlege of number bonds within 10.

Health and Wellbeing

Last week the children discussed the important issue of bullying and what it means to be bullied. This week we focused on what to do if a friend was being bullied. Some responses

Sahel said “I would ask the bully why are you bullying my friend?” and he though his friend would be very sad.

Robbie said “I would make the bully say sorry”

Conlon said “I would tell an adult” and thought his friend would be angry.

Indie thought her friend would feel terrified.

We all agreed that you should tell the bully to stop and speak to a trusted adult.

Have a lovely weekend, and I will be back next week with more news from Primary One.