Primary One – Tuesday 21st April 2020

10 tuesday GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY    Good morning everyone! Hope you are all well!

It is a beautiful sunny day so I hope you manage to get into yours gardens or out for a walk.  A few additional activities for you to try. Enjoy!

Activity 1 – Phonics

A bit of revision on the sounds  (ee and oo) you were learning at home before the holidays. Practice reading the words and sentences. Can you use the words at the top of each card to create your own sentences?

L.I. to understand that 2 letters can make 1 sound

S.C. I can blend sounds with other sounds to read words

S.C. I can spell words with these sounds

S.C. I can use the words I know to write sentences

Activity 2 –  Maths – money

L.I. to recognise and use a range of coins

S.C. I can use my addition skills to add different coins to make 10p (or beyond)

http://firstschoolyears.com/numeracy/money/money.html

If you go to this website you can download a number of worksheets that will support you in recognising and counting money. There are a number of worksheets so please only try what you feel comfortable with. Remember it is always good to use real life materials so if you have a selection of coins please use them. You can use your jotter to copy the worksheets and answers.

Activity 3 – Music

If we were at school we would be learning one of my favourite Spring songs Spring Chicken! The powerpoint and song is below. Singing this song always makes me smile and hope it does the same for you!

Have a great day everyone and I will be back on the blog tomorrow.

Deans Den

Good morning all , hope you are safe and well and enjoyed the Easter break. I am missing our group times but look forward to seeing you all again when it is safe to do so. I will continue to post daily activities for you to complete, along with the work Mrs Fleming and Mrs Stevenson ask you to do.

I have set up a class login on www.oxfordowl.co.uk which enables you to access stories online. Here is our class login (click on the tab at the top of the page)

user name: deansden

password: nurture

The first story I would like you to read is ‘Fetch’ Remember to look at the picture clues to help you. You could also complete the activities that go along with the story. Have fun!!

21.4.20 Primary 1/2

Good Morning Everybody.

I hope everyone had a great first day back with home learning yesterday and managed to complete some of the assigned tasks. Here are some additional tasks for today should you wish to complete them.

Reading

If possible log onto Oxford Owls Ebooks

https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/oxford-owl-ebook-collection

Our class log in

Username – deans12

Password – mrsstevenson

The book I would like us to focus on this week is ‘The Big Carrot’

Read the book with an adult and have a go at activities 1 and 2 focusing on labelling the pictures and sequencing the story into the correct picture order.

Does this story seem familiar? Can you think of another story which is very similar to this one? I can… I will reveal it tomorrow, let’s see if you can guess correctly.

Phonics

I would like us to spend this week revising some of the sounds we have already covered in class and then next week I will introduce one new sound a week for us to focus on.

Today let’s look at ‘ck’

Watch this short clip and learn along with Geraldine the Giraffe!

Hopefully Geraldine will have helped you to remember some of the things we learned in class about this sound.

‘ck’ is a short, quiet sound which comes from the back of our throats (so it is a yellow sound – we need the flashlight to shine into the back of our throats to see where the sound comes from)

k and c also make the same sound as ‘ck’. The tricky part is knowing which one to use. Here is a short clip from Nessy spelling to help remind you..

Now it’s time to put our learning into action.

Can you go on a ‘ck’ hunt around your house. What objects can you find which have a ck in them? Once you have found all of your objects have a go a spelling the word and drawing a picture to go with it. You can use your purple jotters to do this task.

If you can’t find any objects have a go at blending together these sounds to make some ‘ck’ words. Have an adult read the sounds out to you, you can write them down and read them back to your adult.

l – o – ck                       d – u – ck                 n – e – ck                p – a – ck

s – o – ck                       r – o – ck                  l – i – ck                 l – u – ck

Finally for our last phonics task ask an adult to read out this silly sentence.

The lock on the clock was stuck.

Listen very carefully and write it into your jotter. You can get your adult to repeat it as many times as needed or even chunk it into little sections. Don’t forget all those things that a good writer does –

• Capital letters
  • Full stops
  • Finger spaces
  • Letters on the line
  • listen to the sounds in each word to help you spell

How about having a go at writing your own silly sentence, how many ‘ck’ words can you squeeze in?

Log into Education city – I have added a new game called ‘Pack a Rucksack’ into the Home Learning section of our class to help us learn about the ck sound.

Numeracy and Maths

Last term we had a focus on doubles, ie 2 + 2 = 4     3 + 3 =6 etc. This week I would like us to have a go at using near doubles to have solve addition calculations.

So for our daily 5 today let’s try

2 + 3 =   ( we know that 2+2 =4 so 2+3 is just one more..easy)

4 + 5 =               5 + 6 =               3 + 4 =       1 + 2 =

Can you solve the calculation in your head without using any tools?

Today I would like us to focus on improving our counting skills. Have an adult give you a starting number. You can start to count from that number until the adult says stop! Additionally can you write out the numbers that you counted, don’t forget to make sure the number face the correct way! You can make it as easy or as challenging as you feel confident with. Once you feel confident counting forwards, try the same thing backwards!

Science/Art and Design

Yesterday I sent you all off on a Spring Walk to look for signs of Spring and to talk about what you notice in the natural environment. One of the things I have been noticing lately is the amount of different insects that have inhabited my garden. One insect in particular is the bumble bee! This has led myself and Noah to find out a little bit about bees and all of their very important jobs.

What can you find out about bees? Ask an adult to help you find out some facts about bees and design your own bee fact file.  You could include the answers to questions such as

Where do bees live?

What jobs do different bees do?

What do bees eat?

What are the different types of bees?

You could even practise drawing a bee. Here is a step by step guide to help you. Then colour in your bee (using real life colours if you have them).

If you are feeling really ambitious and confident you could choose from one of the activities below and have a go at some bee crafting.

Good luck with all of the activities for today.

As  promised here is our non-blue chick, we actually managed to scrape together some yellow paint. Noah was very surprised to be painting with a fork and not a brush! He insisted it was a duck and not a chick though.. What do you think?

I’d love to see any pictures you have made, send them to the school email address if you can.

wldeans-ps@westlothian.org.uk

Good luck with all of your activities for today. Remember to get outside and enjoy some of the sunshine.

Mrs Stevenson

“Lucy’s in Lockdown”

Before the Easter break, we followed some of Lucy’s adventures in lockdown and now Chris Duke has written a new book all about Lucy! It is available as an ebook – which you are welcome to download and print if you are able to. 

lucys-in-lockdown

There is also  a reading of the story too if you would like to watch and listen.

P3, P 3/4 and P4 writing tasks – please access and complete this when your teacher asks you to.

Letter to Lucy writing lesson notes

Planning questions

Letter to Lucy

Letter to Lucy sentence starters

informal letter display

Primary 3 – Tuesday 21st April

Good morning everyone!

Hope we are all remembering to do our daily exercise! Remember you can go on to Joe Wick’s lessons or you could ask someone at home to create an account on GoNoodle – it is free to join!

Literacy – Pick something to read – fiction or non-fiction (could be a book or something online)  – Take notes from what you have read – list at least 10 key points or new things you have found out.

*Local libraries are providing ebooks online for you to choose from – you can ask an adult at home to register for free  by following the link below:

https://www.westlothian.gov.uk/eBooks

Numeracy – Write out your 2 times table and ask someone at home to check you have them all correct and to test you on these!

You can also watch the video below to help remind you!

IDL: Continuing with our topic on Great Britain, below is a picture of the Welsh Flag:

There are many stories of dragons throughout history, and we cannot be sure why the dragon was chosen for the Welsh flag. We do know that Henry Tudor carried a flag depicting the dragon into battle in 1485 at the Battle of Bosworth Field. Many Welsh people today are proud of the red dragon as it symbolises strength and courage. Which animal would you chose to represent our country if you could pick one – draw this and say why you picked it. You can also try drawing the Welsh Flag.

Enjoy your day!!

Mrs Hillan