P5-6 STEM

Today I joined P5-6 to do a STEM lesson. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. This is a word you will hear a lot about at Greenrigg Primary School as we are going to be doing lots of STEM learning. I had a meeting with Miss Cooke last week to look at what STEM P5-6 can do this year. Then today I did an introduction to STEM with a mini-challenge. This will be something that all teachers and classes do this term.

The challenge we had was to Save Fred. In their groups they had to solve the problem and follow strict rules. They had to help Fred get from the top of his capsized boat into his life jacket that was underneath. They could only touch 4 paperclips and couldn’t touch Fred, the life jacket or the boat.

It was great to see the groups work together to solve the problem. They had to work together. They had to be creative with how they used what they had. This was a chance to practise some of the skills that they will be using as part of their STEM learning. We will be sharing more of their learning soon. For now here are some photos from today’s challenge. Miss Tuke