World Book Night

Tonight (23rd April) is World Book Night where everyone is encouraged to take a break from the tv or the xbox and read a book.  It is being held on this date because it marks the 397 year since the death of William Shakespeare.

World Book night strips everything away to the bare essential: the good hearted feeling of a book in your hand, a companion by your side, the best of friends on your road through life. A good book nourishes the soul and gladdens the heart. It lifts you and makes things seem possible that didn’t seem possible before. I am so happy that Red Dust Road has been chosen as one of the twenty books to be passed hand to hand, word to mouth, on the road.”  Jackie Kay, Scottish Poet and Novelist.

We’re all sitting reading tonight here at the Bamford house: I am reading “To Kill A Mocking Bird,” by Harper Lee, Lorna is reading, “Death of a Kingfisher,” by MC Beaton, Jamie is reading, “The Mysterious Benedict Society,” by Trenton Lee Stewart, and Jude is reading, “Everything’s Amazing (Sort Of),” by Tom Gates.

Extra points on the Star Class chart for anyone who posts a comment on this post telling me what book they are reading at the moment – double bonus points if your parents post what they are reading!!!!

Happy reading.

Mr B

PS – Automatic extra playtime for anyone who can figure out why I might be re-reading “To Kill a Mockingbird,” at the moment.  That’s a tricky question, but a clue can be found elsewhere on my blog!

14 thoughts on “World Book Night”

1. I am reading scarecrow by Roderick hunt. My mum is reading one shot by Lee Child and dad is reading star wars spectre if the past by Timothy Zahn

2. Love it Mr B. Kerry was reading Rumble in the Jungle, Paul (Dad) is re-reading The Da Vinci Code, Amy is reading a Nursery Rhyme Book (with some help), Liam is playing the music on his Thomas The Tank Book and poor me who was working until 8pm the last few nights has only managed the nursery newsletter, school homework sheets and my work rota (does that count?)!

3. Ha, just saw the bonus playtime (could this not be child free time for Mum and Dad)? My guess is it’s because of the lovely puppy Scout, Paul however cheated by using google (and didn’t read the blog) and asked are you nearing your 50th birthday the same as the book?

4. I am reading a book called Super Saver Mouse. It is written by Sandi Toksvig. I am at page 50 chapter 5. I am enjoying it very much. 🙂

5. I am reading The Folk of The Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton.

My mum is reading The Secret by Rhonda Byrne and my dad said he is reading the road ahead by the highway code.

Leah McArthur P3a 🙂

6. Hi

Jamie is reading The Twits by Roald Dahl, mum is reading “The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and dad is reading the manual for his new PC.

Eileen

PS – MSA return!!!!

7. I am reading the adventures of the wishing chair my mum is reading major pettigrew’s last stand.

8. I am reading Castle of Mystery from the Magic Tree House books by Mary Pope Osborne. It is the 2nd Magic Tree House book I have got from the library.I am on chapter 7.
    From Megan Ahmed P3

9. Megan’s dad is reading Audi technical data book and Megan’s mum is reading a book by E.L.James.

Megan’s brother Jay is reading Harry & the dinosaurs at the Museum.

10. I have just started to resd the book Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets. I am on page 8.