mardi le 19 mai

Good Morning,  Everyone!

How are you feeling today?  I loved the Kindness posters that some of you sent me yesterday.  They really cheered me up and I thought the illustration were fabulous.  Has anyone put their poster in their window for others to see?

What was your act of kindness yesterday?

What could you do today for someone?

Remember, post your ideas.

I am sooooo excited to tell you that there are 948 classes entered the North Lanarkshire Sumdog Challenge and would you believe we are 48th out of 948!!!  Come on P6, let’s see how far we can get up the Leader Board.   Tell everyone in our class to get onto Sumdog so far only 10 people have gone on this week.  Can you imagine what position we would be in if there were 20 people from our class?

NUMERACY

Starter:

In the next few weeks, we’re going to revise multiplication calculations. To ensure you’ve got your times tables facts at your fingertips, each day this week for our mental starter, we’re going to play a game which helps you to revise your times tables. Here’s today’s game:

https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

Select-> Times Tables ->Hit the Answer -> Mixed. You can decide whether you want to do Tables up to 10 or 12

Activities: I can subtract a 3 digit number from a 3/4 digit number.

Remember:

To ensure your work is accurate, think about:

• Estimating and checking an answer. It can be easy to make a careless mistake in a calculation so it is very helpful to estimate the answer before completing it using rounding or known facts.
  • Laying out a calculation. Remember the importance of lining up the digits correctly, particularly if there are two numbers of different sizes, e.g. a 6-digit number and a 4-digit number.
  • The importance of zero. It is particularly important in a written calculation to keep the digits in the columns where they belong.
  • Mental or written strategy. Look at a calculation and consider whether a mental or written strategy is most appropriate. Just because it is written as a formal calculation doesn’t mean you have to solve it that way. For example, the calculation 6034 – 5897 would be very difficult as a written calculation (as it involves exchange several times), but it is relatively easy to work out the difference by counting on.

*Challenge*

Plenary:

Spend at least 10 minutes on Sumdog. Everyone at Woodlands has been entered into the North Lanarkshire Maths Contest. The contest started on Friday at 8am and finishes on Thursday 21st at 8pm.

LITERACY

Starter:

Today, we are going to finish our class novel, “Danny the Champion of the World.”

Read Ch 22, page 90:

http://bigben-club.com/wp-content/uploads/Danny_the_Champion_of_the_World_-_Roald_Dahl.pdf

or listen and read along to the chapter through this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uvftCJUrAs

Activity:

I can discuss the themes of the book.

Think about:

• the strong relationship Danny has with his Dad
  • the heroes and the villains
  • Dahl’s use of humour throughout the story helps to keep the reader interested and wondering what will happen next
  • the rights and wrongs like poaching, underage driving, putting sugar in the petrol, using sleeping tablets to drug birds and corporal punishment in schools.

Complete the thinking routine of C.S.I. Choose a colour, a symbol and an image to represent one  of the theme from this book.

Colour

Symbol Image
Why? Why? Why?

Plenary:

At the end of the book, there is a message for Children who have read this book from Roald Dahl:

“When you grow up and have children of your own do please remember something important

a stodgy parent is no fun at all what a child wants and deserves is a parent who is SPARKY.”

Imagine what you would be like as a parent. How would you be a sparky parent? Write a paragraph or create an illustration explaining the different ways you would do to be a SPARKY Parent.

Share your illustration or paragraph with someone at home or email it to me

FionaPollock@woodlands.n-lanark.sch.uk

Take Care P6,

Mrs P