St. Patrick's Primary, New Stevenston

Primary 1 Tuesday the 23rd of June

Morning everyone, I really can’t believe this is your last full day in Primary 1

Today is normally Build a den and have lots of fun day! In groups we’d build dens in the woods at school then play card games, dominos and charades. We’d also toast marshmallows at a camp fire! The weather hasn’t to be great today but this is definitely something you can do at home and you can make a pretend campfire (sorry parents!). I can’t wait to see pictures of all your fantastic dens, I’ll get Sophie, Ben and Katie to make one while I’m in work amd post a picture of theirs later on too! Have fun!

P1 15th June ’20

Morning everyone,

I hope you have all had a lovely weekend and enjoyed a beautiful sunny Sunday.

Today I would like you to start your Common Word Checklist that is in your Home Learning Pack. you can do 1 or 2 rows a day. I’d also like you to do read your oy phoneme story, circle all the oy words and colour the picture. Then do the oy phoneme wordmaker.

Yesterday was Chorpus Christi Sunday. I’m sure some of you would have watched mass online Here is a short film to help you understand the special celebration.

ni2-t-136-corpus-christi-powerpoint_ver_2 (1)

Keep posting on TEAMS please. it has been lovely seeing all your hard work.

Take care,

Mrs McCargo

Friday Funday

Today we would have been outside practising for our sports day.

Why don’t you make up a sports day for the whole family to do. You can make up team names and a flag.

This is your Friday dictation…

“Come down off that box before you fall,” said Mum.
Remember capitals, finger spaces, full stops, spelling and neat handwriting make a perfect high five sentence 🙂
Katie has chosen baking for Golden Time today, let me know what activity you choose. Try and do a session of Cosmic Yoga before it.
(For those of you who had a problem getting on to sumdog yesterday it seems to be ok today. Try and complete both challenges by Wednesday).

8th of June

This weeks tasks are a little late in being posted but I’m sure you all found plenty to work on in your new home learning pack while I was in school today getting everything ready for the day we can all go back!

Primary 1 Home Learning Grid Week beginning 8th of June 2020

Friday Dictation

Morning everyone, I am in the hub today and it is so strange not hearing your voices and saying your cheery smiles.

This is today’s dictation

‘I am here in my garden before I go in for a snack.’

Draw a picture and post it on Teams for me please. Have you all seen Fionn’s stick family. He posted a picture on Teams, Have a look and see if you can see Fionn.

Try and do Cosmic Yoga this afternoon then you can have an extended Golden Time.

Week Beginning 1st of June

I hope you are all loving this glorious weather we are getting.

Here is this weeks learning grid.

Primary 1 Home Learning Grid Week beginning 1st of June 2020

Keep an eye on Teams later on in the week where I will post some extra revision sheets

Week beg 26th of May

I hope you all had a lovely holiday weekend away from the stress of home schooling. My husband decided to give it a go today and lasted 5 minutes. He has decided it’s a job best left to me!

You will find the link below for this weeks tasks. At some point over the next week there will be new home learning packs available at school that you can pick up. These will have sheets for revising the last 8-10 weeks work.

Primary 1 HLG Wk beg 26th of May ’20

18th of May

Sorry for the delay in posting today. I had to help out my mum who had lost her tablets! We worked together retracing her steps and found them in her freezer! It felt like I was back in class when i loose things only this time I didn’t have Belle to help me find them 🙂

I hope you like this weeks tasks.

Primary 1 Home Learning Grid Week beginning 18th of May 2000

12th May 2020

Good morning everyone, It’s so hard to believe that we are still doing home learning. My children are being very lazy this morning as they often are after a holiday.

I’ve added some books for you to read in the home learning grid below, please let me now if you are enjoying my choices and remember you can read as many of the books as you like on Oxford Owl.

Stay safe and I really hope to see you all soon,

Mrs McCargo x 

Home learning 12th of May Home learning 12th of May

Hello everyone, please click on the link for this weeks activity list. I have put on a new link to  a fantastic reading site. You may already be using it and if you are I’d love to hear which books you have read.

I have suggested two  books for this week!

Stay safe and I miss you all,

Mrs McCargo 🙂

Py 1 Home Learning Grid Wk beg 4th of My2000

Friday again!

Good morning, I can’t believe we are in the month of May already!

I’m really looking forward to hearing who has planted seeds in the last week. I know Fionn is very excited watching his sunflowers grow and Christopher should see green shoots next week! Send in some pictures please! I would also love to see your pictures of Mary. It’s such a pity we can’t decorate our May altar with flowers.
I was pleased to see lots of you have started the new spelling challenge on Sumdog! On Monday I am going to post a new reading book to read online.

This  weeks dictation is ‘I like to make a boat float in my bath’.

Remember to get in touch if you need help with anything.

Mrs McCargo

Week beginning 27th April 2020

Sorry for the delay posting today!  Please click on the link for suggestions for work this week.  I hope you are all keeping safe, take care of each other.

Mrs McCargo x

Primary 1 Home Learning Grid Week beginning 27th April 2000

Friday 24th April ‘20

Good morning everyone,

As it is Friday I’d like the children to do a short spelling test. Go over their three common words and 5 of the ck words a few times before you get them to write them down.  You say the word to your child and get them to write it in their jotter.  Once they have done this do a dictation with them

“ Look I can play with a stick.”
Normally I would write this on the board as the children spell each word to me.  I would then cover it up and say it again to the children . This time they have to write it down (say two or three words at a time), remind them about capital letters, finger spaces and full stops. Then ask the children to underline the common words (play & look) and the phoneme word (stick).  The children like to finish this activity by drawing a picture or the sentence.

Revise the days of the week, months and seasons of the year. (There are lots of great songs for this on YouTube).

Friday afternoons are always fun at school. We start with Cosmic Yoga then play doh disco and Golden Time.
I would love to see photos of some of the great things you are getting up to at home. My Katie made a fantastic den in the back garden today!

Stay safe,

Mrs McCargo🙂

Tuesday 21st April ’20

Morning everyone I hope you are all enjoying the beautiful sunshine!

As I said yesterday I’d post this weeks spelling words for you, they are: play, no & look. Mrs Neary has posted a spelling grid which has lots of the different activities that we do for spelling in class. Why don’t you try a different one each day. I’d love to see some pictures of your pasta or cutlery words. You can use the ideas for the ‘ck’  phoneme words too.

This term we would have been setting up a greenhouse at school and learning all about plants. We would have been planting our own seeds to grow into plants and looking after them. It would be great if you could all plant something at home and watch it grow. You could keep a little diary of it and draw pictures when the seeds start to grow. Please let me know if you dont have any access to pots, soil or seeds. I will make up a pack for you and leave it in the school foyer and you could pick it up whenyou are out on a daily walk.

Mrs McCargo

Monday 20th April ’20

Good morning and welcome back to a very unusual new term.

I hope you are all keeping well and safe. The weather has certainly helped keep up morale and i hope you have all managed to get out for a bit each day. My children are enjoying cycling each day and are determined that they are going to teach me how to ride a bike!

I’m only going to post one activity today to ease everyone in gently. Please remember what Mr Dinsmor said and not expect to work all day on school work with your children. You will all soon get fed up and frustrated!

Today I’d like you to work on phonemes. You will need  the letter tiles from the pack you got before Easter or magnetic letters

Ask your child if they can remember what a phoneme is.

They should tell you that it is when you put two sounds together to make a new.

Ask them if they can remember any of the phonemes they have learned. Hopefully they will tell you s+h makes sh, c+h makes ch, t+h makes th, n+g makes ng ,e+e makes ee and o+o makes oo. (Encourage them to make each phoneme with the letter tiles.

Today you are going to take the c and k to make ck (you only here one c). Explain that when you are writing this sound in words the small c always comes first. This phoneme comes in the middle or at the end of words.

Look through a story book and see if you can find any words with ‘ck’ in them, write them in your jotter.

Encourage your child to say words with ‘ck’ in it. Ask them to make some of these words with their letters…sack, back, flick, sick, muck, brick, kick, kicking.

To finish off you could google ‘ck’ alphablocks episodes.

Tomorrow I will post this weeks spelling words, a number challenge and tell you about our new topic.

Mrs McCargo

Mrs McCargo

Early Level Literacy Home Activities

Early Level Mathematics and Numeracy Home Activities

Early_Years_Home_Learning_Collection

My_Activity_Book_Yrs_5_7