St. Patrick's Primary, New Stevenston

A New Term

Good morning and welcome back to a very unusual new term.

I hope you are all keeping well and safe. The weather has certainly helped keep up morale and i hope you have all managed to get out for a bit each day. My children are enjoying cycling each day and are determined that they are going to teach me how to ride a bike!

I’m only going to post one activity today to ease everyone in gently. Please remember what Mr Dinsmor said and not expect to work all day on school work with your children. You will all soon get fed up and frustrated!

Today I’d like you to work on phonemes. You will need  the letter tiles from the pack you got before Easter or magnetic letters

Ask your child if they can remember what a phoneme is.

They should tell you that it is when you put two sounds together to make a new.

Ask them if they can remember any of the phonemes they have learned. Hopefully they will tell you s+h makes sh, c+h makes ch, t+h makes th, n+g makes ng ,e+e makes ee and o+o makes oo. (Encourage them to make each phoneme with the letter tiles.

Today you are going to take the c and k to make ck (you only here one c). Explain that when you are writing this sound in words the small c always comes first. This phoneme comes in the middle or at the end of words.

Look through a story book and see if you can find any words with ‘ck’ in them, write them in your jotter.

Encourage your child to say words with ‘ck’ in it. Ask them to make some of these words with their letters…sack, back, flick, sick, muck, brick, kick, kicking.

To finish off you could google ‘ck’ alphablocks episodes.

Tomorrow I will post this weeks spelling words, a number challenge and tell you about our new topic.

Mrs McCargo