Holy Cross Primary

Tuesday 9th of June

Tuesday 9th June

Good morning everyone! Have you brushed your teeth and made your bed this morning?

Start with your morning prayers. Say thank you to God for another lovely day. You have lots of great talents and will use them today. Remember you are special in every way.

Let’s get started on today’s tasks:

Literacy:

• Read the words and sounds in your word tin.
  • Read the book you chose yesterday.
  • Today is Tuesday. Say all the days of the week. Now write them in your jotter using lots of different colours. Remember to put them in the correct order.

Here are today’s phonics tasks. Please only do the initial, general, OR challenge option. Within each of these there are a few activities. You needn’t do them all.

Initial: You don’t need to do every activity.

• Here are the spelling words from yesterday: mum   dad   look                                                              Ask an adult to write these sentences. Try to read them. Now fill in the blanks using the spelling words.
  1. I went to ________ in the shop.
  2. I get help from my __________ .
  3. My ­­­_________ took me to the park.
  • Take out your single letters. Find the letters ‘i’ and ‘t’ and put them together, ‘it’.  Use these letters to make ‘it’ words:   f, h, k, l, m, p, s  Read the words you made                                                                                 Eg    ‘b’  +   ‘it’   =  bit
  • Ask an adult to write this sentence: ‘I can run in the sun.’ Copy the sentence if you can. Draw a picture to match it.
  • Here is a game to practise reading simple CVC words.

CVC Word and Picture Match

General: You don’t need to do every activity.

• Here are the spelling words from yesterday: our    down   off                                   Ask an adult to write these sentences. Read the sentences and fill in the blanks with one of the spelling words.
  1. I rolled the ball _________ the hill.
  2. Always put the lights _______.
  3. We can put ______ litter in the bin.
  • Take out your phoneme cards. Say the sounds and a word with the sound in it. Now use your single sounds to make the word.
  • Ask an adult to write this sentence. ‘The thief took the sweets from the shop.’ Read the sentence and draw a picture to match. Write the sentence in your best handwriting.
  • In this game choose the phonemes you want to practise.

Forest Phonics

Challenge: You don’t need to do every activity.

• Take the phoneme cards from your word tin. An adult should say some words containing phonemes you know. When they say the word you should pick up the phoneme that you hear in that word.
  • Our new phoneme today is ‘ai’ and sounds like ‘A’ in words. Some words with ‘ai’ are rain, train, wait, sail and mail. Watch this clip about ‘ai’ words:  ‘ai’ words

How many ‘ai’ words did you hear? Can you think of any others?

• Draw some ‘ai’ pictures and write the ‘ai’ words beside them.
  • Here is a fun game to play. Pick the option for the ‘ai’ phoneme.

‘ai’ game

Maths:

Do this counting warm up outdoors if you can!

• Count in 10s to 100 while doing star jumps!
  • Count in 2s to 20 or beyond while hopping!
  • Count in 5s to 50 or beyond while jumping on the spot!

You might need a little drink now!

Yesterday you revised number bonds. You found number stories 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Today we will revise number stories for 6, 7, and 8. Remember, number stories are all the addition sums that add up to the number we are exploring.

You will need counting objects. Pasta or lego pieces will be about the right size. On a piece of paper, draw two circles side by side.

To explore number stories for 6, you will need 6 objects. Put all the objects in the first circle. Your sum would be 6 + 0 = 6. What other way can you put the objects in the circles? That’s right, you could move one object to the other circle. Your sum would be 5 + 1 =6.  Can you find another way to put the objects in the circles? That’s right, you can move another object into the second circle. Your sum would be 4 + 2 = 6. There are 7 sums for the number 6. Can you find them all?

REMEMBER,

• other number stories for 6 would be 6 + 0 = 6, 0 + 6 =1 * Do you remember that a sum can be swapped round. What is this sum called?*
  • Even numbers have double sum stories 3 + 3 = 6

Investigate number stories for 6, 7 and 8. Can you find all the number stories for these numbers? Write the sums in your jotter.

The following link can be use instead of counting objects if you have Flash.

Number stories

If you feel confident with your number bonds, ask an adult to write some sums for you to do.

Story Time

Last week some of the boys and girls told me about new story books they got. Charlie said he had the story book called ‘The Wonky Donkey’ and that it made him laugh. I found ‘The Wonky Donkey Song’ and it made me laugh too. We thought you would like to hear it. Click on the link below.

The Wonky Donkey Song

Did you like it? Out of 5 stars how many would you give this funny song?

Kayla got the story book called ‘The Tiger Who Came to Tea.’ I loved this book when I was a little girl. Here is a link to hear the story if you haven’t heard it before.

The Tiger Who Came To Tea

Out of 5 stars how many stars would you give that story? Would you like a tiger to come for dinner? I thought tigers were very fierce but the tiger in the story seemed to be very polite but very hungry! What would you give the tiger for his dinner? Have a think.  Draw a plate like the one below and draw what you would give him.

Look at the pictures below. What do you think Sophie is saying? What do you think the tiger is saying? What would you say?

Here is a colouring sheet to colour. Print it out if you can. Draw yourself with the tiger.

Me and the Tiger

Have a look in your house to see if there is a story book that you like to read with someone in your home. Let us know all about it. Keep having fun boys and girls. See you tomorrow.