Morning Session – Nursery Class

It has been a pleasure welcoming our returning children and all of our new starts to Berryhill Nursery.

Throughout September the children have been learning all about traditional tales, in particular, The Gingerbread Man, The Enormous Turnip and (still to come) Little Red Riding Hood.  The focus has been on introducing the children to new vocabulary such as ‘enormous’, ‘budge’, ‘scampered’ and ‘sly’,  allowing the children to re-enact the stories in different ways, counting and learning all about positional language such as in front of, behind, first, second, third.  In the gym hall the children have been learning about being in their own space, controlling their bodies and learning some new ball skills.  They have also been sharing their thoughts about the stories through art – please see our fabulous displays!

In addition, the children have been to Tesco to buy turnips, made turnip soup, made gingerbread men and baked cupcakes.

Here is what the children have to say about their learning this month…

‘The turnip wouldn’t budge, it was on the ground.  The man started to pull, then the lady, then the boy, then the girl, then the cat and dog and the bird and the turnip popped out and they ate it for supper and dinner for a long time and then the farmer said he would plant carrots next time.’  Tyler Richardson

‘Enormous means it’s really, really, really big.  The man came first, the lady came second, the boy came third, the girl came fourth, the dog fifth.  The mouse came and they all fell over.  The turnip popped out and at the end they ate the turnip for breakfast, lunch and dinner for weeks!’ Lisa Carson

‘The fox was eating the gingerbread man and he fell in his mouth.  The fox went ‘SNAP!’  I liked making the gingerbread men.’  Lexie Bogle

‘He ran away from the horse, the farmer, a cow, an old woman, an old man because he didn’t want to get ate.’ Karson Fox

‘We went to Tesco on a bus.  We got two turnips.  We put them in the trolley.’  Derry Rattray

‘I went to Tesco with Mrs Murray.  I bought a turnip, carrots and potatoes.’  Kacie Price

‘I was holding the enormous turnip at Tesco.  We got a wee drink at the café.  We brought the turnip back and made soup.’  Brody Nimmo

‘I made cupcakes.  I put flour, eggs and butter in a bowl.’  Karson Fox