So I asked our librarian for a few reading suggestions for my 14 yr old son, so he has some screen time breaks. I got this fantastic reply from our very capable Librarian.

Hi Sean

All Robert Muchamore’s and Anthony Horrowitz books are popular if they like adventure type things, especially the Alex Rider series. If they like Zombies and horror he can’t go wrong with Darren Shan. These are all good authors as they do long series and should keep your son going.

I read a whole series by Will Hill that was really good about vampires but definitely not lovey dovey stuff. I loved it. The good old basics for the last few years like the Gone Series, The Maze Runner and the Hunger Games if he hasn’t already read any of these. Also there is a whole series of Young Sherlock.

More generally, here is a few websites that he might like.

Great website below for reading extracts first to see if you might like it.

This one below is also good but I don’t think they do extracts

This one below is the Booktrust and has a good bookfinder part but the rest of the site is also good.

To be honest Sean there are so many and you can’t go wrong even using Amazon. Usually you can get a first chapter on here too for a taster.

Also Sean if he is a member of the public library you can register him for Borrow Box through Culture NL. Here is the link below. You can access this for audio books, ebooks and also through Culture NL you can access RB Digital and they have lots of free magazines. All this is free if you are a member of Culture NL libraries in North Lanarkshire and if you live in another authority they will have a similar thing.

Here is the link below to Culture NL for more information and if you live in South Lanarkshire there website is there too.

If I can think of anything else I will email you.

Regards

LRC Librarian

Edit: Our librarian has also provided this very useful leaflet.