Head Teacher – John McGilp
Born and brought up in Kilmaurs Ayrshire he attended the Primary School there before moving onto Stewarton Academy. For his undergraduate degree he attended Strathclyde University where he obtained a degree in Chemistry before doing Teacher Training at the then Craigie College of Education, which now forms part of the University of West of Scotland. Although having an undergraduate degree in Chemistry his PGCE was undertaken in Mathematics. Before coming to Coltness High School he had worked in schools in Ayrshire before a considerable spell in the Highlands, predominantly in the Lochaber area but also for a year in Thurso. Previously as well as being a class teacher he has also been PT Guidance, Depute Head and latterly Head Teacher at Kinlochleven and Acting Head at Thurso High. In his spare time he enjoys spending time with his wife and two young sons whilst going for walks with his dog. Every other Saturday he follows Hurlford United at Blair Park in the West of Scotland Football League.
The Headteacher’s task is to manage the affairs of the school to the benefit of the pupils and the wider community.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Management of school finances, staffing, resources and inventory incl DSM Chair
- Management of non-teaching staff
- Giving information and advice to the Parent Council
- Liaison with external agencies and the community at large including Public Relations incl School Handbook
- Submissions and returns to North Lanarkshire council
- Pupil admissions
- School Educational and Leisure excursions
- Co-ordination of the work of the Senior Leadership Team
- Health and Safety
- Equal opportunities and Social Inclusion
- Staff Representative Group
- School Improvement Plan and Report
- Departmental links – P.E.