This month the Pride Alliance invites you to celebrate the purple stripe of the Pride Flag. This colour represents spirit. Faith is an important part of many LGBT+ people’s lives. However, the misconception that LGBT+ people cannot belong within faith communities has been deeply damaging.
Research by the LGBT+ charity Stonewall found a third of lesbian, gay and bi people of faith (32%) aren’t open with anyone in their faith community about their sexual orientation. One in four trans people of faith (25%) aren’t open about who they are in their faith community.
Faith has this almost unparalleled ability to bring people from all walks of life together in the name of love. LGBT+ people of faith should feel respected and included in their faith communities, just as they need respect and acceptance in wider society.
There are lots of faith groups for LGBT+ people. We have included their details below if you feel you need to reach out to them:
- Diverse Church – Christian https://diversechurch.website/
- Hidayah – Islam https://hidayahlgbt.com/
- House of Rainbow – BAME https://www.houseofrainbow.org/
- Imaan – Islam https://imaanlondon.wordpress.com/
- KeshetUK – Jewish https://www.keshetuk.org/
- Open Table Network – Christian https://opentable.lgbt/
- Quest – Catholics https://questlgbti.uk/
- Rainbow Pagans UK – Pagan https://rainbowpagansuk.wordpress.com/