S3 Election

On Thursday of last week, the S3 Modern Studies class at Braidhurst High School went to the polls, after two weeks of preparation.  Nearly 60 voters, including teachers and fellow pupils, completed their ballot papers in order to cast a vote for one of the hardworking candidates: Luke Main of the Conservative Party; Dylan Tait of the Labour party; Abdullah Onal of the Liberal Democrats; and Liam McNicholl of the SNP.

Each candidate worked hard with their party group for two weeks to prepare their policy positions in relation to important issues in the UK, and Braidhurst High School.  Parties tried to win voters over by producing posters, leaflets and canvassing on the day.  The class also included a media specialist group, acting as the press, who produced informative candidate profiles and held candidates to account through the use of interviews broadcast on polling day.

In the end, there could be only one winner, and the SNP candidate Liam McNicholl emerged victorious – with a winning margin of only one vote!  On his party’s victory, Liam said ‘I think our win would benefit pupils at Braidhurst.  Not only would our policies be effective here, but across the nation as well.  I was delighted to win the election, I feel very proud of my party.’

Voting Dec 15