Mr J Girkins – Principal Teacher
Mr S McCole – Class Teacher of Religious Education
RE Course Aims:
- To enable pupils to deepen their knowledge and understanding of Christianity, catholic doctrine and social teaching and develop an awareness of other world religions.
- To stimulate and challenge pupils to critically engage and examine their own attitudes and beliefs towards religion and life.
- To examine the nature and importance of personal faith journey and commitment.
- To provide scope and encouragement for pupils to develop through a holistic whole person approach, through an intelligent, thoughtful and self- critical faith which respects their freedom and is the result of a personal process of growth, search and discovery.
The courses from S1 to S6 follow This Is Our Faith national RERC curriculum approved by the Bishops Conference of Scotland and SCES. It is arranged following the 8 strands of faith themes:
- Mystery of God Signs of God
- In the Image of God Word of God
- Revealed Truth of God Hours of God
- Son of God Reign of God
These include all the main elements of Christianity and the catechism of the Catholic Church. Care has been taken to try to relate the various parts of the courses to the intellectual, social and religious development of our pupils. Senior pupils have the opportunity of studying some religious topics in greater depth, including the study of world religions other than Christianity.
Senior students are also actively encouraged to pursue the Pope Benedict XVI Caritas Award whilst some may also achieve the SQA Beliefs and Values: Values in Action Levels Award. S6 students are also offered the opportunity to study Higher RMPS (Religious Moral and Philosophical Studies) which can contribute to pursuing careers, for example in teaching, child care, counselling, social work, local government and religious leadership.