At Newark Nursery our children are encouraged to take part in a variety of activities to promote their language and communication skills
Developing Literacy Activities through Play
- Children learn about literacy from birth.
- Learning about literacy is a continuous process which has its roots in everyday activities at home.
- Literacy roots are nourished by the type, amount and quality of literacy which is used in real life contexts and serves a real purpose in people’s lives.
- Parents, significant adults and professionals play an important role in helping children develop the attitudes, skills and knowledge that lead to literacy.
- Children must be helped to discover that:
What I do see or hear or touch, I can talk about
What I talk about, I can write about, or someone can write for me.
What is written down, I can read or someone can read it for me