HEALTH PROMOTION AND NUTRITION ACT – ANALYSE
Analyse the evidence using the reflective questions below to help initiate discussions and support further exploration of the effectiveness of monitoring and evaluation in making a difference for children and young people. What does it tell you about what is working well and what needs to be improved? Is the evidence accurate, reliable and relevant? Comparing evidence from different sources helps to confirm your view. What themes are emerging?
- Who is involved in developing whole school policy? What impact are policies having on behaviours, attitudes and outcomes?
- Is a clear, effective strategic approach to food in school in place to ensure joined-up working. How is this developing? What is the impact of this approach?
- How does a whole school approach impact on relationships across the school? (See also section on Ethos and culture)
- What impact are the contributions children, young people, parents and partners making to improvements in whole school health and wellbeing What information is used and how does it influence decisions about food provision? For example the HPN Act, current public health advice, nutritional information about products etc.
- How does the process in place ensure the production of a high quality menu analysis? What checks are in place to ensure compliance with all food and drink standards at all levels? What quality assurance process is in place? How does this ensure high levels of confidence in the provision to meet all requirements?
- How are new menus and/or changes communicated to staff and customers?
- Once in place, what monitoring reviews how well planned provision reflects actual selection?
- What processes are in place to seek, gather and make use of feedback from staff, customers, and parents?
- How well do processes in place protect the identity of those entitled to a free school meal?
- How well are school meals promoted to parents, children and young people? Is monitoring happening and what difference is the approach having on uptake?
- What systems are in place to measure food waste and who is involved? Is this a whole school approach? What impact is this having on waste? Behaviour changes?
- School meal uptake figures – what use is made of these figures by both catering and school eg monitoring free school meal uptake. How do they correlate to levels of customer satisfaction?
- How is the duty to ensure access to free drinking water across the school day met and monitored?