Scaladale Trip

On Monday the 18th of June we had our school trip to Scaladale. We got on the bus at school 06:00 pm and we arrived at Scaladale at 06:45pm. First we went on a walk up around the hill at the back of the Scaladale centre. The hill was very steep, it was really windy and there were two rain showers. After the walk we were all put into groups so we knew which room we were in. Then we had hot chocolate and snacks for supper. Then we helped to wash up, dry and put away the dishes.

In the morning I woke up at 7:00am. We got put into two teams – one team went climbing and the other one went gorge walking.

(Rosanna P5)

On Monday night we went for a walk up a hill at the back of the Scaladale centre, it was a long path. We had to stop at each junction so we didn’t get lost. It was really windy at the top of the hill, the wind was so strong it nearly blew us away! After the walk we had hot chocolate, toast, scones and cake for supper. Then we went to bed and at midnight we a midnight feast! I didn’t go to sleep until 1:30am!

(Sandy P6)

Scaladale Trip

On the 19th of June the whole school went to Scaladale to do some activities. There was gorge walking and rock climbing for  P5-7.  For the Gorge Walking we had to get wetsuits on which took the boys around half an hour. Once the boys had got the wetsuits on we had to get life jackets on and shorts on top of the wetsuits for protection. After we were ready we got on the bus and headed to our destination. When we arrived we had a check that our equipment was safe and headed down the road to the river. In the river we got to climb up rocks, swim up currents and do bombs into very deep parts it was my favourite part. The skills I used were teamwork, swimming and perseverance (especially when I was swimming against the current – I didn’t give up!).

(Donnie P5)

Scaladale Gorge Walking

On Tuesday 19th of June we went to the Scaladale Centre, the best thing I did was Gorge walking up a river. At the beginning we got a shock because of how cold it was but we got used to it after a while. Then we went up the river, on the first bank we had to do the Hebridean dunk.  We had to dunk our head under the water – it was really cold I had an ice cream headache!

We got to play for about 3 minutes in the pools then we went up more of the river.  When we got to a deep pool that we could jump off a rock and into the pool even Ms Macmillan and Ms Macarthur did it! When we got up to the last pool we climbed up a small cliff edge and then carried on up the river. Once we all got to the next pool there was a small slide which we all had a go on, it was pretty fun. We were all trying to climb up the slippery rocks. In the end we all made it, the pool we were at we could all jump in (in style) this time there was an even bigger slide which was longer than the other one.

After we were done at the last pool we headed up to the mini-bus and wentback to the Scaladale Centre.  Finally we could get a warm shower to heat up!

The skills that were important for gorge walking were communication and listening because we had to follow the leader’s instructions.  Teamwork was important because we had to make sure everyone was safe and didn’t get pulled away in the current.  I would definitely do gorge walking again.

(Josh P7)