At Giffnock Primary parents and carers play a vital role in their child’s education. When parents and carers are involved children perform better and achieve more. One of the ways to get involved is through the School’s Parent Council.
Giffnock Primary Parent Council (GPPC) is a group of volunteer parents and carers who wish to keep up-to-date with what’s happening in the School and have the opportunity to express their views. Attending GPPC meetings allows you to:
- Feel more connected with the school and what your child is learning.
- Raise money to fund school activities and equipment.
- Get to know teachers and staff.
- Join or create a social media group for other parents and carers in your child’s class.
- Help the School to continually improve.
GPPC usually meets twice per term in the School. Meeting times change to allow as many parents and carers to attend as possible. Your involvement could be:
- Simply supporting – offering ideas, opinions and experiences.
- Taking an active role – selling tickets, scoring raffle prizes and working at fundraising events.
- Joining the committee – volunteering as a chairperson, treasurer or secretary.
Meetings are informal and you will be in the company of other parents and carers who know how busy family life can be – there is never any pressure to take an active role. If however you have the time and wish to be involved, there are many ways your skills can be put to use.
At the start of each school year GPPC commits to funding events and/or equipment which benefit all pupils. Examples include:
- School ties and homework bags for children starting P1.
- High school ties for children finishing P7.
- Playground equipment.
- A Christmas pantomime delivered by a visiting theatre company.
- After-school clubs held within the School.
To raise funds the GPPC organise a number of events which are supported by parents, carers and the school community. Most have become annual fixtures. Examples include:
- Christmas fair.
- School discos.
- Summer barbecue.
- A themed school day (crazy hair day).
If you have any questions or would like to find out more about the Parent Council – come along to a meeting or get in touch using the links below.
Meeting dates are published in the School’s parental engagement calendar.
News can be viewed on the GPPC Twitter feed.
You can contact GPPC at firstname.lastname@example.org
2019-20 AGM, Meeting Dates and Times
Our 2018-19 Parent Council AGM was held on Thursday 4th October. If you were unable to make it, the presentation from our Head Teacher Rob Lawson is available below: