Music Time with Mrs McWhirter

Good morning P 3!

Are you ready to be Sonic Explorers again?

A couple of weeks ago I asked you to explore the sounds of your garden but today I want you to use your musical imagination to explore further away from home!

One of my favourite places to visit is the beach and I’m sure lots of you do too! I want you to think of sounds you might hear on the beach and what instruments you would choose to make those sounds. I would love to see a sound picture of your beach with some instruments in it! If you don’t want to use instruments you can find sounds at home to help. I like the crunchy sound cornflakes make when you shake the packet! It sounds a bit like walking on sand. If you can find some empty,  clean plastic bottles you can try filling them with different materials for different sounds. Try rice or pasta or of course water! You could even try to make a water bottle organ but make sure you ask an adult first!

Make a Water Organ

You will need:

• 4–10 clear glass bottles, same size
  • Water
  • Food colouring
  • Metal or wooden spoon

Instructions

1. Fill each bottle with water of varying amounts, until different pitches can be heard.
  2. Add a different food colouring to each bottle to identify the ‘notes’.
  3. Hit with a metal or wooden spoon and listen to the different pitches!

After you have made your water organ, line the bottles up in order by water volume (most water on the left, least water on the right).

Play the water organ by gently hitting each bottle with a metal or wooden spoon/stick. Use the instrument to explore pitch (high/low sounds) and dynamics (loud and quiet).

I am sending you the link to Sonic Explorer but watch out because she meets something unexpected on her travels!

Click here for Sonic Explorers