This Week in P4

As I was whisked away to camp Mon – Wed and Miss Marnie stepped in, much of what the children enjoyed this week were the lessons they had with Miss Marnie ( a big thank you for your hard work Miss Marnie).  Top of their highlights list was the session helping them to access Didbook with the P6’s help, for the first time.   They are really looking forward to recording their learning each week.

Next was the maths problem solving questions, which they worked on as a class, but finding answers in groups.  Next up was the opportunity to complete a Christmas card design. This may have just been because it was a relaxing task, but the results are fantastic. I hope you will agree when you see them.

The children and Miss Marnie enjoyed this weeks reading buddies session with the P1’s.  The relationships they are building between the classes is great to see.

Almost all said they have loved Mrs Fraser’s science and technology lessons, others have enjoyed the PE and many liked the poems Miss Marnie read on Monday, for national poetry day, from Allan Ahlberg.

P3 Weekly Reflection

This week in Primary 3 we have been learning about foods that can be grown at home.  The children were excited to share the foods they grow at their own homes and we went into the garden to consider the foods grown in the greenhouse.  Angus said he enjoyed this learning and told us he grows apples and pears at home.  William said he enjoyed looking at the pictures of commonly grown foods and guessing which plants they were.  Joe told us he enjoyed writing about foods that can be grown at home.

In literacy this week we have been continuing our learning about plurals and learning the rules for words that end in ‘y’.  Luke N said he enjoyed the activities we did to learn these rules.  We also learned about the layout of a formal letter when we wrote thank you letters to New Lanark for our recent visit.  Writing his thank you letter was a highlight for Harris St.  In reading we have been looking at asking good questions to encourage better discussion.

Maths this week was all about patterns with numbers and we played lots of games using number squares and loop cards.  Finn and Kayden said they enjoyed the loop card game and Mrs Clyne was impressed when we knocked 3 mins off our last time!  Rhys said he particularly enjoyed the number problems which we tackled for Smart Start.

This week saw us design our Christmas cards for the parent council’s fundraiser.  These will now be sent away and the children’s proofs will be returned in due course.  Emma F, Jarrad and Lakshya all said they enjoyed designing their own Christmas card and we look forward to seeing them when they arrive.

In drama this week we have been practising our mime skills and recreating characters from the story of The Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde.  We learnt that it can be quite tricky to convey a message through mime alone.  Anna said she really enjoyed the drama and liked playing one of the children from the story.

In technology Kalista said it was fun making the tractors and working collaboratively with her peers.

This week sees the children bring their jotters home so you are able to discuss your child’s learning with them before you attend learning consultations next week.  I would urge you to complete the feedback form and return the jotters to school on Monday.

Have a lovely weekend.

P2 Learning Reflection

This week, some of the children in Primary 2 enjoyed their very first session with their Primary 7 reading buddies. The children will read on a Monday and Thursday each week. Thank you to the children in Primary 7 for doing a great job!

The class are really enjoying their science topic about the five senses and have participated well in all our activities throughout. Here are a few of the children’s reflections about their learning:

Our sense of touch helps us to feel if things are hard or soft. (Akruti)

In the middle of your eye there’s a pupil and it helps you to see. (Holly)

Your tongue helps you to taste.(Maddie)

Your senses work with your brain. (Cali)

Our senses help us to keep safe. (Arya)

In Numeracy we have counted number sequences to 50, explored place value using tens and ones and added within 20. Through Number Talks, we have been sharing the different ways we work out addition problems.

In Literacy we have been learning about ‘magic e’ with a focus on the ‘i-e’ sound. We sang the magic e song and completed some word building activities. We learned that magic e makes the vowel sound say it’s name.

In Art, we looked at and discussed pictures of Autumn scenes and colours. We then explored colour mixing to create our own Autumn paintings. We also completed our Christmas card designs.

Successful first week of October for P7

P7 have been busy this week, as always. We started Monday by completing our Christmas Card designs. We managed a sneaky extra PE session too, so that we could learn more netball – we are really getting there with all the rules and positions. As always on a Monday afternoon, we have our Reading Circles. Please try to ensure your child has read the required pages and completed the activity, otherwise the benefits of the group discussion are missed.

The highlight of our week was definitely a visit from the WL Museum Service to teach us about local geology as part of the work the pupils are doing with Mrs Fraser about rocks and soils. Pupils were able to handle all sorts of interesting rocks and fossils. Some photos are already on Twitter and I will get some posted on here soon.

Jack – This week I have enjoyed PE because last week I missed it so I’ve caught up on the netball rules quite quickly.

Ben M – one of the things that stood out for me at the geology lesson was about the sea flooding Scotland and then everything turning into fossils after dying, when the water dried out too.

Erin – When I was doing Japan school facts I couldn’t get the right fact but I kept trying. That was me using perseverance. In maths I have an aspiration to try and get all my number talks questions right. So I will keep trying and I think I’ve improved on it this week.

Liam – This week I tried to persevere in the netball trials and to try to improve my vocabulary in my writing.

Bobby – I found the manga a bit hard because I couldn’t draw a perfect circle and when I tried drawing the chin, both sides were unequal. I did enjoy it though. I really liked maths because we were teaching each other stuff instead of the teacher just telling us.

October Home Learning – October activities

Camptastic!!

I have spent a lovely few days with my P5’s at Lowport. It really is a privilege to get the opportunity to spend time with the children at camp and see them in a different environment.

On their return we have been writing some personal reflections on our camp experiences and designing our Christmas Cards for Parent Council, so another very busy week.

Mrs Taylor x

P1a’s Learning Reflection W/E 5.10.18

In numeracy, we have been doing Number Talks. We have been looking at dot patterns and discussing how many dots and how we saw them. We have been learning to identify patterns and copy and complete these patterns. In writing we worked with a partner to create an acrostic poem about Autumn. We had to brainstorm good words. This week we learned the sounds c and k. They are yellow sounds. We also learned the tricky word said. In science with Mrs Fraser we looked at hard and soft. We made the brick and straw houses from the Three Little Pigs. In P.E, we played the traffic lights game. We also worked on our hand eye co-ordination and balance. We put a bean bag on our heads and walked, jogged and ran around the room whilst trying to keep the bean bag on our head. We also practiced throwing and catching the beanbag.  We designed our Christmas card and it is being sent away today. We drew pictures of what we liked to do with our families. Today we are bringing home our jotters to share our learning with you. Please can these jotters be returned to school on Monday. Thank you. Here are a few of the children’s reflections on learning this week:

Ch: “I found it hard to write kicking k”

Leighton: “I found writing the acrostic poem about Autumn tricky.”

Coben: “I learned the new sounds c and k.”

Isaac: “I found it tricky writing our new sound kicking k.”

Euan: “I found patterns and number talks tricky.”

Ziva:” I enjoyed learning the new sounds.”

Ayden: “I found my homework really easy this week.”