NURSERY – Fun and Learning at Home

Hello Everyone,

We hope you enjoyed a long weekend and had fun at home.

Whilst the Nursery has been closed our cleaners have been busy steam cleaning and helping to prepare a safe environment for the children to return to when the time is right. We are very grateful for all their hard work behind the scenes.

The Nursery Team are continuing to enjoy reading and replying to Home Learning posts in your child’s learning journals, thank you for taking the time to do this.

Bookbug

Bookbug is celebrating 10 years this week. Between 18-24 May there are special activities you can share with your children.  Full details have been posted separately on our Blog and you can access Bookbugs here

L.1. I enjoy exploring events and characters in stories and other texts, sharing my thoughts in different ways.

Hot and Cold

Some of the nursery children have been exploring hot and cold at home and experimenting with hot and cold liquids, this is a great science activity to try. Step 1: Send your child on a hot and cold hunt around the house, looking for items that are hot or cold. Step 2: Use red and blue food colouring to colour water, blue to represent cold and red to represent hot. Make ice cubes from the blue water and place them in a bowl of hot red water.  What happens to the blue ice cubes? Do they float or sink? Does the water change colour? Encourage your child to discuss the changes they see and why they think this is happening. L.1. By investigating how water can change from one form to another, I can relate my findings to everyday experiences.

Junk Modelling

Another great activity enjoyed by nursery children at home. This fantastic robot model was inspired by the story ‘One Button Benny’.  Provide your child with different sized boxes and junk with sellotape/glue and pens/paint to create a character from a favourite book you enjoy reading together.  L.1. I enjoy investigating objects and shapes and can sort, describe and be creative with them.

Please share photos of any Home Learning in your child’s Learning Journal and with your permission we can hopefully share on our Blog.

Some other suggested activities to try

Cress Heads

Use egg shells to grow cress and turn them into cress heads. Step 1: use an egg box to hold empty egg shells Step 2:  Gently draw faces on the shells; be careful not to break them! Step 3: Place damp cotton wool into the shells and sprinkle a few cress seeds on top. Step 4: Watch the cress hair grow, remembering to add drops of water when required and place them in a sunny position. L.1.I have helped to grow plants and can name their basic parts. I can talk about how they grow and what I need to do to look after them.

Remember you can also have a look at http://blogs.glowscotland.org,uk/wl/snonursery for more ideas.

Be kind to yourself and take care.

EC Nursery Team