Weekly Update From P1A

I hope you have all had a good week. We have been really busy  turning our classroom into fairyland! As promised last week I have pictures of the beans that we planted. They are coming along nicely and the children are enjoying looking after them. I will send them home next week and hopefully they will continue to grow in your garden.

The Three Little Pigs

We have really enjoyed reading The Three Little Pigs and have completed a number of activities around the story. Firstly we re-told the story .

Next we decided to carry out a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths) Challenge. We wanted to know if we could build a house strong enough to withstand the big bad wolf as he huffed and puffed. Firstly, we investigated materials around the classroom to find out what we could use.

Next we gathered materials  (wooden sticks, lolly pop sticks, straws, lego and wooden bricks) and started to build. I went around with a hairdryer. To represent the huffing and puffing of the big bad wolf. Some “houses” were more successful that others!

On Wednesday we came back from lunch to find that the dragon had visited and left a letter and a gift for all the children.

The children were thrilled with the letter and castle booklets!

Writing – The Three Little Pigs

I gave the the children a picture from the story and they were asked to write what happens next. Some super examples-

Writing – The Three Billy Goats Gruff

The children also re-told the story of the Three Billy Goats Gruff, using simple sequencing. Some examples below-

The children made a bridge for the Billy Goats to cross.

I hope you have enjoyed seeing some of the fantastic learning that has taken place this week. Have a lovely long weekend and I shall post more updates next week.