P5 enjoy Drama and World Book Day

Drama

On Thursday morning we had a drama workshop.

Maia – I enjoyed it because we got to be pirates and it was funny when we were scared.

Shantelle – It was fun, exciting and very funny.

Lacey – Everyone was scared of me and Mason.

Monika – The very last bit was funny because Mason and Lacey got scared and they put their knees together.

WORLD BOOK DAY

During the day we had lots of opportunities to read quietly. In the afternoon we went to visit P3/4 and discussed our favourite books. Then we listened to our buddy read their book aloud. We were very impressed with their reading!

In group reading this week we practised answering ‘HOT’ questions – higher order thinking. An example of this type of question would be : ‘What words and phrases has the author used to show how the character is feeling?’ Some children were lucky enough to work with Mrs Stewart this week!

We practised improving our cursive style in handwriting.

In spelling we practised adding ‘ing’ to words. Most words you just add ‘ing’ but some words have special rules!

We learnt how to change fractions into decimals. Initially we practised converting tenths then we moved onto changing hundredths.

In order to compare the decimals we practised placing them on a number line.

In order to apply what we had learnt we used the laptops to play decimal games.

Princess – I enjoyed learning about decimals.

Mohamad – I enjoyed maths because it was challenging.

Aleena – I learnt how to change a fraction into a decimal.

More us have beaten our scores on ‘Big Maths’ this week.

P.E.

We played an unusual game this week. In order to score each team had two opposite corners of the room with goals in. It was a little bit confusing. Some of us scored lots of own goals!

On Thursday we had to do P.E. in the classroom and so we did a mixture of fitness and zumba activities. Liam led the dancing and we were very impressed. It was great fun!

Art

This week we have started to learn about tone. Tone means darkness or lightness of colour. We looked at and discussed a picture by Edward Hopper called Nighthawks, which demonstrates tonal contrast. We practised using tone to create 3d objects then we used red and white paints to create a gradual tonal strip. Mixing white to a colour creates a tint.

Samuel – I learnt about shading.

Georgie – I enjoyed painting from darkest to lightest.

Eva – I learnt how to lean on the pencil to make it dark.