Happy New Year from P5

Although this week has been shorter than usual we have still been busy!

Maths

Using our knowledge of angles and clockwise and anti-clockwise turns we answered questions involving using an 8 point compass.

Lewis – It was challenging.

We revised multiplication learning from last year and then practised a new skill : multiplying a 2 digit multiple of 10 by another 2 digit multiple of 10 or a multiple of 100.

Number Talks

Our subtraction skills were revisited and we practised using various strategies with our talking partner.

STEM – Science

We learnt about the 3 main states of matter – solids, liquids and gases. In addition we learnt how materials can change from one state to another.

In the photo below we are in role as the molecules of a solid – tightly packed together and vibrating slightly.

We then pretended that we had been warmed up and this heat energy caused more vibrations so much so that we expanded and then we moved further away from each other because we had melted into a liquid.

Then we pretended that we had even more energy and we began to vibrate even more so much that some molecules started to escape.The photo below shows this process of evaporation when a material changes from a liquid into a gas.

Keris – Learning about the 3 states was fun.

Lacey – It was fun moving around the room as a gas.

Health

As we have started a new year we thought about our future dreams and wrote these ideas onto little fluffy clouds which we have displayed in the classroom.

Bella – I want to become a fashion designer and a famous singer.

Chloe – I want to be a Hearts player or a contortionist.

Lewis – I want to be a professional footballer and in my spare time I would like to practise Mindfulness.

During this Health session we were practising the social intelligence skills of COMMUNICATING and FEELING. We have COLLABORATED to create ‘Our Sky of Dreams and Goals.’

P.E.

We continued to improve our basketball skills.

Art

We are reading Dino Egg by Charlie James and designed our own colourful dinosaur egg and modern dinosaur. We are going to use our ideas to write a story about a dinosaur hatching in our own homes; just like in the book. Watch this space!