Latest News From Primary One

It is definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas in Primary One! We have a new Christmas tree, lights and decorations.

On Tuesday it was Christmas jumper day as well as Christmas lunch. Very, very exciting!

Nativity has been a big focus this week. The children have had a “photo shoot” (individual pictures available to order after Nativity performances) a dress rehearsal  in front of the whole school and our first big performance today. I am very proud of each and everyone of them. It can be a bit daunting being on stage, but I must say they have taken it in their stride. If you have managed to come along I hope you enjoyed it and it put you in the festive mood.

Continuing on the nativity theme, we wrote invitations asking friends and family to join us for our very special performances.  A few examples below.

Health and Wellbeing

For the past few weeks we have been looking at how we celebrate differences, bullying (what it is etc.) as well as what to do if you are being bullied. This week we focused on friendship, specifically what makes a good friend. We made a mind map to illustrate our ideas.

Once we had brainstormed we created friendship tokens that we would give when we saw someone being a good friend. We were also able to describe how we feel when someone is kind to us. A few examples below.

We are continuing to work on our number bonds to 10. Our challenge this week was to create a jigsaw displaying number friends to 10. The children worked in small groups of 4/5, they had to communicate with each other effectively (listening and talking at appropriate times) as well as taking on different roles e.g. cutting, sorting, gluing etc. The skills we are beginning to develop are essential for future employability. Developing the Young Workforce is a phase you will become more familiar with as your child progresses through school.

I hope you all have a lovely weekend and the elves are not too naughty! (I’ve been hearing all about them at check-in time).