I Can Animate – Eastfield Primary School

Football Funny Haunted House Tom and Jerry X Factor

Background

Our I.C.T. school club ran from September to December in weekly 1 hour blocks.  15 children attended to learn how to use animation software and how to edit the movies in I-Movie.  At first we split the pupils into smaller groups and asked them to create a basic storyline, characters and background to their movie.  Next we used various art materials to make our background and plastercine to make the characters.  The filming process lasted a few weeks with each pupil choosing to be either a director, filmcrew or actor.  Then we exported the finished movie and added titles, credits and voice effects using I-Movie.

How ICT supported learning and teaching

We used the school laptops for the webcams and downloaded the ‘Frame by Frame’ software.  The webcams and microphone allowed the pupils to add in their own effects and movements.  The pupils worked in small groups so that everyone would get a chance to use the various hardware and software.  The teacher used the large mounted smartboard to show the pupils each step of the process and to highlight any problems and solutions they were having.

Impact / conclusion

The pupils loved using the new software and different functions on the laptops that previously they would not have used.  next the club aims to build on the knowledge gained to produce move movies, using I-Movie.