Week Beginning 11.5.20

Hello Primary 6.

I have uploaded a range of different activities this week. Please feel free to complete what you can. Remember to read right to the bottom as there is a range of  fun activities. If you need any help or clarification on anything please feel free to email me or post on Teams.

We will continue to have a Team talk at 1.30pm each day. This will let us have a catch up and discuss any work that you are unsure of. I will have a different theme for each day with some games and trials of activities thrown in too. Please don’t feel you have to join everyday unless you want to. I would love everyone to try to join at least 1 if you are able to.

We will have a big fat lock down quiz on Wednesday at 1.30pm.

We will have our spelling test at 11am on Friday.

Morning Challenge

Slides 75-79. We will complete 1 each day. I would love it if you could answer on the chat in Teams. I will post a daily comment to start the discussion and just hit reply. You don’t have to write your answers on paper just type them straight onto Teams.

You can also do these each day if you fancy it.

Spelling –  You will find your words on the drop down tab. We will have a live spelling test on Friday at 11am on Teams. If you are unable to make this please ask someone at home to read them to you. You can post your scores on Teams. I have added some spelling ideas if you want to mix things up a bit.

Second Level Spelling Bingo

Reading – I will send out the reading sessions for your book. . If anyone is struggling with the books please let me know and I can give you more time for each session (the same way I would in class).

Hufflepuff: Hot Money – Chapters 1-3. Complete one of the tasks from the reading activities grid below. We will choose a different one each week.

Slytherin: Awfully Beastly Business: Saving a Sea Monster

Slytherin Awfully Beastly Business session 1 and 2

Ravenclaw: Pet Finders on the Case (Take another few days with this one). Complete the sessions, with detail and complete the bugs on BugClub. If you have done all of this have a look at the activity grid below and try one of these activities.

Gryffindor: Changing Places

Gryffindor Changing Places Session 3 and 4

Quidditch: Please try and log onto Nessy whenever you can.

As well as your sessions feel free to have a look at this activity grid which might help you to understand your book a bit better. You can also choose to complete any of these with a book you have read at home.

ReadingActivitiesGrid

Comprehension – Your comprehension this week is all about Florence Nightingale. It is a chili challenge so please try whichever one feels good for you (*, ** or ***)

Florence-Nightingale-comprehension

Writing – Continue with your journal task (separate tab). Remember to reflect on your feelings and share what is happening in the world. It is up to you how you complete this and whether you are completing it each day.

I have included a Time Capsule activity booklet that you could add to your journal or use the ideas.

Time-Capsule-Activity-Booklet

Imaginative Writing

This week, I would like you to complete an imaginative story about Crocodile Island.

Watch the PowerPoint on using synonyms to help you choose some really exciting vocabulary. You can also use the word mats provided.

Synonyms Powerpoint       

Higher-Level-Vocabulary-Word-Mats   

Emotions-word-grid 

Complete the snapshot planning sheet to help give you ideas.

Snapshot-Mat-Crocodile-Island   

Remember to use  the baseline criteria to help you assess your work.

Baseline Criteria <— these are the links

VCOP Skills

Here is a PowerPoint to help you keep your VCOP skills sharp. Maybe try a couple of tasks each week. Try to complete one each week.

VCOP challenges

+

You are all doing really well with the algebra so I have added some more pages for you to complete. Please do the pages for your group and let me know if you need any help. Remember to read the explanation at the top of the page carefully before you start. I will post the answers on the blog on Thursday afternoon or if you would like them before this, just ask and I can email them out to you. There is also a link below to a website with really good videos explaining the different concepts of algebra.

https://www.mathswithmum.com/?s=algebra

TJ3a pg. 54 – 57         Pg 54         Pg 55         Pg 56         Pg 57

-/x

This week you are moving on to Multiples and Factors. Please let me know if you need any help. Remember to read the explanation at the top of the page carefully before you start. I will post the answers on the blog on Thursday afternoon or if you would like them before this, just ask and I can email them out to you.

TJ2a pg. 168 – 171        Pg 168         Pg 169         Pg 170         Pg 171

÷

We have now completed algebra so I have given you some recapping on rounding to 10 and 100. Remember to read the explanation at the top of the page carefully before you start. I will post the answers on the blog on Thursday afternoon or if you would like them before this, just ask and I can email them out to you.

TJay 2a P11-13        Pg 11        Pg 12        Pg 13

SumDog

Challenge – I will set everyone a challenge of 250 questions. This is achievable for the majority of you as that is less than what you have been completing up until now. This will be revision of previous learning.

There are a few people who I need to complete the diagnostic assessment again (this is just to see what you level you are working at, nothing scary). Can I ask these people to focus on maths training and not the challenge. I will email you when it is safe to move over to the challenge. Please check your emails to see if you are one of these people.

Assessment – I have set an assessment for Friday. Try to complete it on Friday however I will keep it running

Times Table Challenge – I will upload a copy of the times table challenge and some extras. Why not try and write the answers on a piece of paper. Remember you only have 15 minutes 🙂

Times Table Challenge <—this is the link.

Here are another few timestable challeges.

Division and times table challenge

Times table challenge 6 pack

Times tables challenge missing number

HWB

PE – Try your best to complete at least 2 PE sessions with either: Joe Wicks on Youtube (9am each morning) or Cosmic Kids Yoga or Jump Start Jonny at 9am. (Links included on Handy Links tab).

Fit 15 – Also try to fit in some fit 15. You could try Just Dance, outdoor play or anything else you can think of to keep fit.

Paths Kids this week are: Lewis B and Iona

Please leave a comment on the Paths Kid channel on Teams for both PAThS Kids. If you cannot access Teams for any reason feel free to leave your comment on the blog or email them to me.

NHS

I know many of your family and friends work for the NHS. Here is some information and activities you can do all about the NHS. Please send me anything you would like me to see.

Lesson Plan

history of nhs 1

NHS 2 PowerPoint

Emergencies PowerPoint

History of nhs scotland cards

our family medical emergency sheet

Thought Bubbles Pack

Other

Newsround – keep up to date with current events.

Mindfulness – Headspace or relaxing music, colouring or dot to dots.

STEM – Have a look at these challenge cards from Dyson. There are some awesome experiments to try out. I would love it if you could pick one to try out at home and I will do the same.

Dyson challenge cards

Art – I have uploaded an outdoor art activity grid. Try and complete a couple of these each week if you can.

Outdoor Art Activity Grid <—– click here

SCIENCE – One of the outcomes we have to cover this term is about topical science and what is in the news currently. We would like you to investigate the effects of the Coronavirus on the environment and report back your findings. The task card is below and there is also a link to a good video clip on the BBC Future Planet page. Feel free to research other websites for more information.

http://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200422-how-has-coronavirus-helped-the-environment

Birds

I don’t know about you but where I live there are a lot of spring birds out, making nests and singing at all hours of the day. I have added some bird activities if this is something that would be of interest to you. Why not incorporate it into your daily exercise. Try and take some pictures and either email them or post on Teams. Who can find the most of one kind of bird and who can find the rarest bird? Can you find something uncommon that is not included in the materials?

Birds ppt

Birds factfile

Birds in garden comprehension

Describing birds

Spring birds hunt

Birds comprehension

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – North Ayrshire site