Week Beginning 18.5.20

Hello Primary 6.

I have uploaded a range of different activities this week. Please feel free to complete what you can. Remember to read right to the bottom as there is a range of  fun activities. If you need any help or clarification on anything please feel free to email me or post on Teams.

We will continue to have a Team talk at 1.30pm on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This will let us have a catch up and discuss any work that you are unsure of.

Monday I will go through the blog and work that has been set for the week.

Wednesday will be our Big Fat Lock Down Quiz – Boyd is reining champ!

Friday will be to share any news or work or current events.

We will continue to have our spelling test at 11am on Friday.

Morning Challenge

Slides 80-84. We will complete 1 each day. I would love it if you could answer on the chat in Teams. I will post a daily comment to start the discussion and just hit reply. You don’t have to write your answers on paper just type them straight onto Teams.

You can also do these each day if you fancy it. Personally, I can’t wait for Sunday ;-).

Spelling –  You will find your words on the drop down tab. We will have a live spelling test on Friday at 11am on Teams. If you are unable to make this please ask someone at home to read them to you. You can post your scores on Teams. I have added some spelling ideas if you want to mix things up a bit.

Second Level Spelling Bingo

Reading – I will send out the reading sessions for your book. If anyone is struggling with the books please let me know and I can give you more time for each session (the same way I would in class).

Hufflepuff: Hot Money – Chapters 4-6. Complete one of the tasks from the reading activities grid below. Please choose a different one from this week.

Slytherin: Awfully Beastly Business: Saving a Sea Monster

Slytherin Awfully Beastly Business session 3 and 4

Ravenclaw: Charlie and Alice: A Friend in Need

This is a series of stories and before you can continue with this story I would like you to read the previous book: Charlie and Alice: Finding a Friend. You do not need to complete the sessions for the first book but I would like you to answer the bugs on BugClub. You will have 2 weeks to read this first book (Finding a Friend) and complete sessions 1 and 2 of the second book (A Friend in Need). Both books have been assigned to you on BugClub.

Ravenclaw Charlie and Alice session 1 and 2

Gryffindor: Flash the Dog Bounces In!

Gryffindor Flash the Dog Bounces In! Session 1 and 2

Quidditch: Please try and log onto Nessy as much as possible.

As well as your sessions feel free to have a look at this activity grid which might help you to understand your book a bit better. You can also choose to complete any of these with a book you have read at home.

ReadingActivitiesGrid

Comprehension – Your comprehension this week is all about smoking. It is a chili challenge so please try whichever one feels good for you (*, ** or ***)

The Dangers of Smoking Reading Comprehension

Grammar

Friday is normally our grammar day so I thought I would give you some activities to try.

Homophones PowerPoint

Homophones Practice Activity Sheet

Writing – Continue with your journal task (separate tab). Remember to reflect on your feelings and share what is happening in the world. It is up to you how you complete this and whether you are completing it each day.

I have included a Time Capsule activity booklet that you could add to your journal or use the ideas.

Time-Capsule-Activity-Booklet

Imaginative Writing – *COMPETITION* – See poster below for entry details

Choose 5 Challenges!

Choose five of the tasks from the NA Challenge sheet above to complete. I have uploaded a variety of useful resources but if you would like any more relating to a certain task, let me know and I can email it out to you!

Story Mountain Activity Sheet

Adjective Word Mat

Conjunctions and Other Connectives Word Mat

Word Mat Pack -adjectives, adverbs and verbs

Fronted Adverbials Word List

Non-fiction Sentence Openers Word Mat

VCOP Skills

Here is a PowerPoint to help you keep your VCOP skills sharp. Maybe try a couple of tasks each week. Try to complete one each week.

VCOP challenges

+

Continuing with Algebra again this week.

TJay 3a:     Pg 58       Pg 59       Pg 60      Pg 61

-/x

Some negative numbers this week. Make sure you go through the powerpoint and read the top of each exercise first!

Negative Numbers PowerPoint

TJay 2b:     Pg 81        Pg 82       Pg 83       Pg 84         Pg 85

÷

Negative Numbers PowerPoint

Counting Back Past Zero Using Negative Numbers WS  

TJay 2b:     Pg 81      Pg 82        Pg 83      Pg 84 

Learning aid: Numberline Minus-20 to 20

SumDog

Challenge – I will set everyone a challenge of 250 questions. This is achievable for the majority of you as that is less than what you have been completing up until now. This will be revision of previous learning.

There are a few people who I need to complete the diagnostic assessment again (this is just to see what you level you are working at, nothing scary). Can I ask these people to focus on maths training and not the challenge. I will email you when it is safe to move over to the challenge. Please check your emails to see if you are one of these people.

Assessment – I have set an assessment for Friday. Try to complete it on Friday however I will keep it running until Sunday night.

Times Table Challenge – I will upload a copy of the times table challenge and some extras. Why not try and write the answers on a piece of paper. Remember you only have 15 minutes 🙂

Times Table Challenge 

Here are another few timestable challeges.

Division and times table challenge

Times table challenge 6 pack

Times tables challenge missing number

HWB

PE – Try your best to complete at least 2 PE sessions with either: Joe Wicks on Youtube (9am each morning) or Cosmic Kids Yoga or Jump Start Jonny at 9am. (Links included on Handy Links tab).

Sports Day!

Wednesday is Sports Day. Here is the grid with all of the activities that need to be completed. Do your best and try to film them and send them in (the more we get the more points we win!). Keep an eye on the school twitter page for some demonstrations (by teachers) and other people’s uploads.

Virtual Sports Day Grid WPPS

Fit 15 – Also try to fit in some fit 15. You could try Just Dance, outdoor play or anything else you can think of to keep fit.

Paths Kids this week are: Logan and Jessica

Please leave a comment on the Paths Kid channel on Teams for both PAThS Kids. If you cannot access Teams for any reason feel free to leave your comment on the blog or email them to me.

Food Glorious Food 

Try some of the activities below to find out about Food Labelling and Food Groups.

Understanding Food Labelling PowerPoint

Food Labels Hunt Activity Sheet

Food Groups Information PowerPoint

Food Groups Poster

Plan a Healthy Meal Activity Sheet

Other

Newsround – keep up to date with current events.

Mindfulness – Headspace or relaxing music, colouring or dot to dots.

STEM – Have a look at these challenge cards from Dyson. There are some awesome experiments to try out. I would love it if you could pick one to try out at home and I will do the same.

Dyson challenge cards

Art – I have uploaded an outdoor art activity grid. Try and complete a couple of these each week if you can.

Outdoor Art Activity Grid

Birds

I don’t know about you but where I live there are a lot of spring birds out, making nests and singing at all hours of the day. I have added some bird activities if this is something that would be of interest to you. Why not incorporate it into your daily exercise. Try and take some pictures and either email them or post on Teams. Who can find the most of one kind of bird and who can find the rarest bird? Can you find something uncommon that is not included in the materials?

Birds ppt

Birds factfile

Birds in garden comprehension

Describing birds

Spring birds hunt

Birds comprehension

Just another blogs.glowscotland.org.uk – North Ayrshire site