Learning in the technologies enables all children to:
• develop an understanding of the role and impact of technologies in changing and influencing societies
• contribute to building a better world by taking responsible, ethical actions to improve their lives, the lives of others and the environment
• gain the confidence and skills to embrace and use technologies now and in the future, at home, at work and in the wider community
• become an informed consumer and producer who has an appreciation of the merits and impacts of products and services
• be capable of making reasoned choices relating to the environment, sustainable development and ethical, economic and cultural issues
• broaden their understanding of the role that information and communications technology (ICT) has in Scotland and in the global community
• broaden their awareness of how ideas in mathematics and science are used in engineering and the technologies
• experience work-related learning, and establish firm foundations for lifelong learning, and specialised study and careers.
It is important to remember that as children and young people play and learn they will develop an interest, confidence and enjoyment in ICT skills that can be transferred and applied in different learning contexts.