Every member of staff has a responsiblity to support the learning of all children. The term Additional Support Needs applies to children who, for whatever reason, require extra support, long or short term, in order to allow them to fully access the curriculum. The type of support offered will vary according to the needs of the child.
This includes consideration given to children who:-
• have a disability,
• have social, emotional and behavioural difficulties,
• have learning difficulties of a specific or general nature,
• are exceptionally able,
• demonstrate under achievement relating to gender issues
• have had their learning interrupted through absence or illness
• have English as an additional language,
• have family circumstances that have an impact on attendance and learning.
In order to help staff meet children’s Additional Support Needs, a Staged Assessment & Intervention process has been developed. In many instances the children will be supported in the playroom by the nursery staff.
For some children partner agencies may be asked to offer support where necessary.
If your child experiences difficulties in learning that you are concerned about, this can be shared and discussed with the key worker or a member of the management team.
For further information please feel free to contact the nursery or visit Enquire for independent, confidential advice and information.