Date and time: 9:30am – 3.00pm, Tuesday 29 November 2011
Theme: Sustainable Development Education
This CPD event offers practitioners and school leaders a wonderful opportunity to visit Garrowhill Primary School – winner of the ‘Sustainable school’ category in this year’s Scottish Education Awards.
Garrowhill Primary is an inspiring example of a school that has adopted a whole school approach to sustainable development education. The secret to the school’s success has been the embedding of sustainability across the curriculum which has had a demonstrable impact on every classroom and learner. This has been driven forward by strong distributed leadership and a positive, caring ethos which permeates the school.
A focus of the event will be to identify and share the practical lessons and ideas that have helped the school move forward on its journey including:
- Making the most of the curriculum to provide momentum and sustain programmes
- A strong focus on pupil voice to lead learning and activities
- The effective use of programmes such as Eco-Schools, Fairtrade Schools and the John Muir Award to support learning and teaching
- Extensive partnerships with the local community to transform the school’s ageing buildings and grounds through the development of an outdoor classroom, wildlife area and vegetable garden which are regularly used for curricular activities
- The reduction in the school’s energy consumption by 30% through sustained commitment.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet and talk with the Head Teacher, staff and learners and also tour the classrooms, buildings and grounds. Time will also be set aside for participants to reflect and share their own experiences.
How to book
To book, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel. 0141 282 5172.
Places are limited so please book early to avoid disappointment. This is a free event!
Download programme by clicking on the link below
This is one of a series of open day events organised by Education Scotland’s Developing Global Citizenship Team. View the full programme of open day events here>>