History of Tayport and Ferryport

Tayport Primary School is situated in the centre of Tayport and cannot be missed as it is set just off the B945, the main road running through the town. The imposing Victorian frontage dates from 1875, with further sections dating from 1939.  Initially the school ran both a primary and secondary programme, although the infants were accommodated at the building which is now Ferryport Nursery on William Street.. In 1967, when junior secondary schools were closed, Tayport became a primary school and the older pupils were sent to Madras College in St. Andrews or Bell Baxter High School in Cupar.

 We are very proud of our beautiful Victorian building which has been extensively refurbished to enable our children to enjoy a quality learning environment.   Tayport Primary School is fully accessible.

Our main reception area is at the front of the school and consists of the main administrative office, our “small hall” and a large classroom, currently being used as our support for learning base. Our small hall is used for Learn to Learn Assemblies, Drama and Music and is transformed into a Dining Room over lunchtime. Stairs lead down to the lower corridor which houses three classrooms, currently being used by P1, P2 and P2/3 children. On this floor there is also a small quiet learning area, Depute Headteacher’s Office and Janitor’s Office. Cloakrooms and the boys and girls toilets are also on this floor.  You can also access the newest extension which is the sports hall from here:

From the entrance area stairs lead up to the main classroom area which accommodates five classrooms, currently being used by P3 – 6 children. One classroom is used as an additional learning base and this is currently being developed into a flexible space to support transitions and to be renamed “The View”. From this area further stairs lead up to the Staffroom, the Head Teacher’s office and two further classrooms, currently being used by our P6/7 and P7 children. Room 12 is up here too and is a school Library.

Outside we have an extensive hard surfaced playground area to the front and rear of the school. The children love playing on the Trim Trail and the painted exercise trail and we have lots of games and toys that come out at lunchtime. During October 2021 an infant outdoor learning area has started to be developed. During playtimes and lunchtimes our children are very well supervised by our Pupil Support Assistants and other staff.

Ferryport Nursery was opened in 1976 and occupies a site, five minutes from Tayport Primary School. Built of stone, it was originally the old infant school. 

It was constructed in the mid 19th Century by the local business community and is located on the main Tayport to Dundee Road. 

Ferryport is Victorian in style, with what was originally two classes being turned into a large playroom. Carpeted throughout, with appropriate wet areas for nursery play etc, Ferryport is light and airy and is well appointed. The nursery has a beautiful and enclosed terraced garden which the children love.


Queen Street – Tayport – DD6 9NS – 01334 659444 – email: tayportps.enquiries@fife.gov.uk

Report a Glow concern
Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.