Nurturing and Supporting Mental Wellbeing

Who Can Help?

Whether you’re concerned about your own eating habits or those of a friend or loved one, help is available.

Your General Practitioner (GP)

It is important that you seek advice from a health professional as soon as possible. Your GP will be able listen carefully and provide advice and refer on to specialist services if required.

Your School

Letting the school know will mean staff are able to put a plan in place for support. This could include:

  • Wellbeing check-ins with a member of staff
  • Time out card to allow a break from class if necessary
  • Adaptations to the timetable which take into account energy levels
  • Reduced homework
  • Referral to Joint Support Team

There are a number of local services which can help depending on your circumstances:

  • Joint Support Team – School staff may wish to discuss your case at a Joint Support Team (JST) Meeting. This is a meeting held in school with an Educational Psychologist and they will provide the school with advice and guidance on the most appropriate supports. It may also be decided at the JST that a referral will be made to the Educational Psychology Service for further support.
  • Educational Psychology Service – Consent would be sought before you/your child is referred to the service. There is a range of ways that a psychologist might become involved from providing support, advice and training to the school team, young person and parents/carers or signposting to other agencies/services
  • Healthier Minds Service – This team supports the mental and emotional wellbeing of children and young people aged 10 to 18. Membership of the team includes personnel from CAMHS, Children 1st, Educational Psychology, Social Work, RAMH and School Nursing. Youth Counselling can also be accessed. More about the service can be found here
  • East Renfrewshire School Nursing Team – Consent would be sought before a referral to the school nursing team through the Healthier Minds Service
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) Your GP or the school nurse may wish to make a referral to CAMHS to ensure your child gets the necessary support for their mental and physical health.
  • Connect-ed Team – The team supports young people, their families and professionals with issues relating to eating disorder diagnosis, across NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde. Connect-ed are a small specialist team operating within CAMHS.

Beat Eating Disorders have a range of support services available for children, young people and adults. Click the picture to access the full range of services.



Next Section I’m worried I might have an eating disorder

Report a Glow concern
Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.