Dyslexia Awareness Week 2019

This week we are learning about Dyslexia.

The theme of the week is Building Independence for Life.  We want to raise awareness and show how, with the right support, children and adults with dyslexia can achieve their full potential – Dyslexia Scotland

For more information, please visit https://www.dyslexiascotland.org.uk/

The story behind Ellie’s Blue Dyslexia Ribbon

Ellie was Dyslexia Scotland’s first Young Ambassador. She came up with the idea of a blue ribbon for dyslexia to raise awareness. Here’s what she said when she launched the blue ribbon in 2012.

I want children to feel comfortable with their dyslexia and not to have to hide it away. Most children don’t want to tell their friends about it because they are ashamed or embarrassed.I want to educate people so that they understand that dyslexics are creative out of the box thinkers and that we are just as clever as everyone else. I want them to embrace their dyslexia and achieve their goals.”

This week all children will receive a blue ribbon to wear, to show their awareness of Dyslexia, if they would like to.

Homework Challenge  

As part of Dyslexia Awareness Week I would like you to design a Dyslexia Awareness ribbon. Your design could include facts about dyslexia, images or information about famous people who have dyslexia. You can be as creative as you like.

Please make sure your name and class are on the front of the ribbon and it is cut out so the ribbons can be displayed around the school.

Please return your ribbon cut out to Miss Kirkcaldy by Friday 8th November. Everyone who brings in a designed ribbon will receive a small prize.