Social Awareness is the ability to empathise with others and see things from different points of view.
See the poster attached for ideas on how to help your child develop social awareness at home.
This year at Mauchline Primary, we have joined many other schools across the UK, and beyond, who use the PATHS (Promoting Alternative Thinking Strategies) Programme.
What is PATHS?
PATHS is a programme of lessons and strategies that helps children manage their emotions, communicate effectively and problem solve independently.
It takes a holistic approach to include all children, families and staff therefore we will be running information sessions soon!
PATHS is a research based programme grounded in the science of children’s brain development. It uses progressive schemes of work, engaging resources and diverse activities to establish a positive classroom.
PATHS helps children with…
- Self-esteem, self-confidence and self-control
- Frustration & anger management
- Attention and concentration
- Thinking before they act out in anger
- Emotional understanding
- Expressing their feelings in a positive way
- Understanding that all feelings are okay, but some behaviours are not ok
- Preparing for change (e.g. moving to high school)
For more information, feel free to get in touch with the school or have a look at the handout located in the school office.