Leswalt & Kircolm Primaries held a combined One Planet Picnic in the fresh air today as part of our last day fun. The theme is ‘Good For You, Good For The Planet‘. This year, we worked very hard on reducing our single use plastic waste and snacking in a more environmentally way.
The initiatives we undertook were:
- We packaged our lunches in recyclable paper bags
- Our healthy fresh fruit offering was unwrapped to reduce waste
- Our milk was supplied with paper straws instead of plastic
- Children bought their reusable water bottles
- Our take-away burger rolls were packed into recyclable paper bags.
Everyone enjoyed the alfresco social time as part of our last day. There was lots of chatter and smiles from the boys and girls.
The children sorted our waste into three recycling tubs: food, paper and plastic, making sure there was no litter left behind.
Look at the different amounts.
The first, smallest bag on the left is food waste to be put on our compost heap, the second largest bag is paper waste to recycle and the third, smaller bag is plastic waste which we can also recycle. You can see from the photographs how little plastic and food waste there was compared to recyclable paper material.
We then placed the waste into the correct bins to be processed by Dumfries and Galloway Council.
# Responsible Citizens