Computing

Computing Science

S3 Computing Science

COURSE CONTENT

The aim of this course is to provide pupils with a broad experience of computing science and problem solving skills, providing coverage of the Level 3/4 experiences and outcomes containing;

CONTEMPORARY TECHNOLOGIES

Using new and emerging technologies to explore various features which include security software and computer hardware for the world of work.

ANIMATION

Using new and emerging software and hardware to create stop frame and key frame animations using computer generated graphics as well as 3D modelling techniques.

SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT

Taking a problem and developing a solution by using the software development process leading to the creation of computer programs and games.

 

For more information on the level 3 and 4 outcomes – please click on the link below to be directed to the relevant SQA documentation.

 

SQA CfE Curriculum outcomes (http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/Images/all_experiences_outcomes_tcm4-539562.pdf)

 

 

S4 Computing Science

Levels Covered

National 3-5 Computing Science

This course has two units

SOFTWARE DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT

 

The general aim of this Unit is for the learner to develop knowledge, understanding and practical problem-solving skills in software design and development through appropriate software development environments. Learners will develop their programming and computational/problem solving thinking skills by developing, implementing and testing practical solutions and explaining how these programs work. The pupils’ will also develop an understanding of how data and instructions are stored in binary form, the basic architecture of a computer, and an awareness of different contemporary software development languages/environments.

 

INFORMATION SYSTEM DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT

 

The general aim of this Unit is for the learner to develop knowledge, understanding and practical problem-solving skills related to the design and development of information systems through a range of practical and investigative tasks. Learners will apply problem solving thinking skills to implement practical solutions using a range of development tools and to develop an understanding of the technical, legal and environmental issues related to one or more information systems

 

Assessment

Course Assessment – National 3

 

Learners will be assessed on an on-going basis as they progress through the course.

 

Course Assessment – National 4 – Added Value Unit

 

This practical assignment will be a meaningful and appropriately challenging task, which will demonstrate the learner’s application of knowledge and skills, at an appropriate level, from both the Software Design and Development Unit and the Information System Design and Development Unit. This will be assessed in school and will be classed as either a pass or fail.

 

Course Assessment – National 5

 

The assessment is in the form of a coursework task which will account for 40% of the final course. The task will assess the learner’s ability to apply their knowledge of the two units. The assignment will be carried out during class time under teacher supervision and control and submitted to the SQA for external marking.  The course assessment will be graded (A-D). At National 5 there is also and external exam – which forms 60% of the pupils overall mark.

 

Progression Routes

 

  • S5/S6 – N4/5 or Higher
  • Employment or training

 

 

Additional Information

SQA National 3-5 Computing Science Homepage

(http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/48477.html)

 

 


S5/6 Courses

 

Our current S5/6 cohort have had a choice of pursuing the existing Intermediate 2/Higher Computing or Information Systems courses.

 

Intermediate 2/Higher Computing

 

This course has 3 main units:

 

Software Development: The general aim of this unit is to extend knowledge and understanding of the software development process and of a software development environment.

 

Computer Systems: The general aim of this unit for the learner to develop knowledge and understanding of the principles of computer systems hardware and software.

 

Computer Networking: The general aim of this unit is to develop knowledge and understanding of the principles of networking and practical skills related to networking through the use of contemporary hardware and software.

 

Assessment

 

Each unit will be assessed by a National Assessment Bank (NAB) assessment. If any pupil is unsuccessful at this assessment they will be allowed one resit. All 3 units are required to gain an overall course award.

 

The external exam is worth 70% of the course with the other 30% consisting if a practical coursework task, set by the SQA,  done in class. This coursework will cover both the software development and computer systems topics.

 

Additional Information

SQA Intermediate 2 Computing Homepage

(http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/39650.html)

 

SQA Higher Computing Homepage

(http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/39652.html)

 

 

 

Intermediate 2/Higher Information Systems

 

This course has 3 main areas:

 

Relational Database Systems: Opportunity to develop simple relational database systems using contemporary software.

 

Using Information: Examines the principles, features and purposes of information and the systems used to retrieve, create and manipulate information.

 

The Internet: Examines the operating principles of the Internet, Internet services and web site design and provides an opportunity to solve practical problems through the use of contemporary hardware and software.

 

Assessment

 

Each unit will be assessed by a National Assessment Bank (NAB) assessment. If any pupil is unsuccessful at this assessment they will be allowed one resit. All 3 units are required to gain an overall course award.

 

The external exam is worth 70% of the course with the other 30% consisting of a practical coursework task, set by the SQA, done in class. This coursework will cover both the relational Databases and Using Information topics.

 

Additional Information

SQA Intermediate 2 Information Systems Homepage

(http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/40516.html)

 

SQA Higher Information Systems Homepage

(http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/40518.html)


Advanced Higher Computing

 

Advanced Higher computing involves the pupils expanding their software development skills to create a 40 hour software development project of their own choosing.

 

The pupil has to manage the entire project from analysis and design to evaluating their project. This is 40% of the pupil’s final mark.There is also a choice of optional units – allowing the pupil to specialise.

 

Assessment

 

Each unit will be assessed by a National Assessment Bank (NAB) assessment. If any pupil is unsuccessful at this assessment they will be allowed one resit. All 3 units are required to gain an overall course award.

 

The external exam is worth 60% of the course with the other 40% consisting of the pupil’s project.

 

Additional Information

SQA Advanced Higher Computing Homepage

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/39655.html

 

 

 

Implemented using Glow Blogs

Report a Glow concern  Cookie policy  Privacy policy

Glow Blogs uses cookies to enhance your experience on our service. By using this service or closing this message you consent to our use of those cookies. Please read our Cookie Policy.

Close