Accounting/Accounting and Finance (S5/6)
In S5/6 at present we offer both the new National 5 qualification and the current Higher qualification.
The Course enables learners to understand, and make use of, financial information so that they can prepare accounting statements and analyse, interpret and report on an organisation’s financial performance.
The course has 3 units:
- Preparing Financial Accounting Information
- Preparing Management Accounting Information
- Analysing Accounting Information
Regular homework will be issued.
National 5 Assessment
Learners will be assessed by means of a question paper worth 100 marks set by the SQA and an assignment worth 50 marks. And will receive a grade from A-D.
The assessment will assess the skills, knowledge and understanding of:
- Demonstrating retention of knowledge and understanding from across the Course
- Combining the theoretical and practical aspects of the Course
- Integrating, where appropriate, the knowledge of financial, management and analysing accounting information using ICT
- Analysing and evaluating accounting information in a given accounting context
- Making decisions and communicating recommendations for a given accounting context.
SQA National 5 Accounting Homepage (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/47434.html)
Higher Accounting and Finance
The aim of the course is to develop an understanding of the principles and practice of finance and of financial and management accounting. To develop skills for recording and preparing accounting statements. Interpreting accounts and making decisions or problem solving.
The Higher Course includes:
- Financial Accounting. This unit focuses on the following topic areas:
- Manufacturing Accounts – including the calculation of manufacturing profit
- Financial statements and balance sheets for all business organisations i.e.partnership, plc, private limited company, not-for-profit organisations
- Adjustments to final accounts
- Accounting Ratios
- Financial Accounting Regulations
- Management Accounting. This unit concentrates on the following areas:
- Classification of Costs
- Elements of Cost – Stock, Labour and Overheads
- Preparation of cost statements – job costing, process costing, service costing
- Marginal costing and Decision Making
- Information Technology and Accounting
Each unit will be assessed by a National Assessment Bank (NAB) assessment. If any pupil is unsuccessful at this assessment they will be allowed one resit. Both units are required to gain an overall course award.
Pupils will sit a final external exam set by the SQA.
SQA Higher Accounting and Finance Homepage (http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/39164.html)