Good morning P1! Friday 6th June 2020

Good morning everyone,

I hope you have had a nice week and are looking forward to the weekend. Are you going to do anything nice?

I was talking to my godson the other day (he is nine years old and goes to school in Edinburgh) and he told me about a few science experiments he has done at home lately, so I asked him how to do his favourite one and here it is, for you to do at home if you want to, just for fun!

Make your own lava lamp

You will need:

a glass

water

veg oil (or similar!)

salt

optional: food dye

Method

1. Half fill your glass with water.
  2. Add a few drops of food dye if you like and swirl it in.
  3. Now add oil to the glass until it is about 3/4 full (ask an adult to show you what that looks like.)
  4. Take a tablespoon of salt and drop it in all at once. Can you see anything happening?

What happens is that the salt is heavier than the water, so when you pour salt on the oil, it sinks to the bottom of the mixture, carrying a blob of oil with it. In the water, the salt starts to dissolve. As it dissolves, the salt releases the oil, which floats back up to the top of the water. This creates an effect a bit like a lava lamp!

I hope you enjoy exploring this science activity if you choose to try it.

Have a great weekend when it comes,

Take care,

Mrs Jamieson