P1 Weekly Reflection

Despite all the excitement of Halloween, we’ve had a really busy week learning lots of new things following a Halloween theme.

In numeracy, we have been counting objects you might find at Halloween, putting groups in size order from smallest to biggest and biggest to smallest.  We also talked about positional language to develop our understanding of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th and learned about lines of symmetry.  Mrs Anderson and Mrs Clyne were amazed at how well we were able to draw the other half of given shapes!

In literacy we have learned the sounds  and ck.  We did lots of activities to learn these sounds but our favourite was watching Alphablocks.  If you get a chance at home perhaps you could watch some Alphablocks too.  We have also been talking about sequencing and learning to put words in the right order to make sentences and put sentences in the right order to make instructions.  To help us think about sequencing we made jam sandwiches one step at a time.  The best bit was when we got to eat them.

In Health and Wellbeing, we have been discussing What is a friend? and How can I be a good friend?  The children worked beautifully in pairs to sort out cards which showed friendly and unfriendly behaviours and we’ve have some great discussions this week.

In Science we talked about seasons and the different weather that each season brings.

This week I asked the children to answer the question What is one new thing you have learned this week?, here are some of their responses:-

Isla “We learned the sound r. R makes the words rose, racket and Ruby.”

Georgie “How to be a good friend.”

Elise “How to be nice and respect my friends.”

Cole “To be respectful.”

Lochlann “I learned how to be compassionate to my friends.”

Felicity “How to be kind and share.”

Sophie “Keeping safe.”

Zac “Being nice and sharing.”

Ruby “Sharing is caring.”

Nieve “We used cotton buds to make a skeleton.”

Have a lovely weekend and stay safe if you are attending a Bonfire and Fireworks Display.