This week in P6…

We’ve had another busy week!

Newsround reported on the fact that energy drinks could soon be banned for under 18s.  This caused some debate so we investigated why energy drinks are harmful to children and young people and wrote a short report on our findings.

“Energy drinks have lots of sugar and caffeine which can affect your brain negatively and also how you behave.” – Zoe

“They can make you feel dizzy, have chest pains and you can also start shaking.” – Finlay

“They can cause you to put on extra weight because there’s so much sugar.” – Leon

Miss Greig taught us how to say and order the days of the week in Spanish.

“It was really fun and I loved the games!” – Katy

“I liked the game that you had to put the post it notes on the board!” – Luke

“I enjoyed the song!” – Leon

“We all thank Miss Greig!” – Charlie

Some people delivered a short talk to the class about why they should vote for them to represent P6 in the Pupil Council.  Our winners were Luke and Aiden.

“I’m thankful for all my votes!” – Aiden

“I’m happy to be representing P6!” – Luke

Some people tried out for the Basketball team this week and are looking forward to finding out on Monday.

In maths we spent some time exploring what is meant by place value and we worked from thousandths all the way up to billions.  We got to grips with using Cuisenaire rods again and we had a go at representing 2 and 3 digit numbers using the Base 10 materials.

“We played a good game (Who Wants to be a Hundredaire?) but it was quite hard.We did it in the end!” – Rowan, Charlie & Natalie

We watched a video about Whitaugh Park (school camp) after letters were sent home this week.

“I’m really excited for all the activities!” – Rowan

“I can’t wait to see the lodges.  There will be no adults in our room!” – Ainslie

“I hope we get to do the abseiling and archery.” – Charlie

“I hope we do the same activities as my sister’s year because she said it was really fun and exciting!” – Callum

“I hope we get to do the flying fox/swingy thing!” – Logan F

We also completed our Class Charter (with the exception of a few bits to finish from people who were absent). The rights we chose to be reminded of are:

Article 13 – You have the right to find out things and share what you think with others, by talking, drawing, writing or in any other way unless it harms or offends other people.

Article 29 – Your education should help you to use and develop your talents and abilities.  It should also help you learn to live peaceful, protect the environment and respect other people.

Article 31 – You have the right to rest and play.