Primary One – Monday 8th June 2020

Good Morning Everyone, Happy Monday! I hope you all had a fantastic Weekend!

Your new learning packs will be available for collection soon, we are having a few technical problems at the moment and when they are resolved we will let you know. So in the mean time some tasks for you to do today.

Activity 1 –  Phonics  – New Sound qu

L.I to understand that 2 letters can make 1 sound

S.C. I can say the sound to match the letter shape

S.C. I can blend this sound with other sounds to read words

S.C. I can write this sound

New sound today   You use the back of your throat and lips to form this quiet sound. The sounds q and u are best friends and wherever q goes u like to follow.  Can you practice saying the qu sound? This Youtube clip may help.

Can you use your super blending skills to read the words below ?

qu – i – ck         qu – a – ck        qu – i – l -t          qu – i – z         qu – i – v – e – r

We have now finished Set 4 Sounds. Can you challenge yourself to read the sentences below? The words include most of the sounds we have been learning.

Activity 2 – 684 Best Children Book Illustration & Best Books images in 2020 ... Reading

L.I. to read words and sentences

S.C. I can use the pictures in a text as a clue to help me with unfamiliar words

S.C. I can use words that I know in a sentence to help predict what an unfamiliar word could be

S.C, I can re-tell the story

Your new reading book from Oxford Owls is A Vet’s Week. Remember go to oxfordowl.co.uk, then my class login (deansprimary1, reading), ebooks, select  age 5-6 then scroll down to A Vet’s Week. Enjoy sharing the story with someone at home and try to re-tell the story using the pictures at the back of the book.

Activity 3 – Numeracy Mathematics Literacy Clip Art, PNG, 1174x729px, Numeracy ...   Number Talks

L.I. to tell the number of objects in a group quickly and without counting

S.C. I can show the steps I took to solve a problem

S.C. I can explain why I did it the way I did

S.C. I can check my answers and make sure they are correct

Remember Number Talks are all about how you solve a task mentally. For this activity, don’t use anything to help you, just your brain!

For the individual strings below – How many dots do you see and how do you see them?

For the ten frames below – How many dots do you see and how many more to make 10? Top Tip – think doubles and near doubles

In your learning packs there are subtracting sheets from 8, 9 and 10, over the next few days try to complete them. Remember for these activities you can use a number line or concrete materials.

Activity 4  – The Wildlife Trust’s 30 days wild!

I have signed us up to The Wildlife Trust’s 30 days wild! which is an opportunity to have lots of fun and learn a bit about the environment. Below is a nature table, you can create one of your own. In each square it is asking you to collect items from the environment. Have fun collecting them and at the end you could use them to create a beautiful nature picture.

Everyday there is a random act of wildness –

Today’s act is ……. so why not ask someone at home if they can help you take picture of something in nature that is blue. Enjoy!

Have a great day everyone and I will post more activities tomorrow!