P1 and P2/1 Weekly Update!

Primary 1 and Primary 2/1 have had another busy week in school.

Primary 1 got a surprise with their classroom getting a mini makeover!

Scarlet – I like the new drawing area.

Lucy – I liked that the tables have been moved.

Tadas and Charlie enjoyed sharing a dinosaur non fiction book in the new library area.

Aayan commented ‘I am enjoying my new book and I love that I can read it.’

This week we have been writing all about what we can and can’t do…..yet! We read the story of Giraffes can’t Dance by one of our favourite authors Giles Andrea.  The boys and girls have been working hard to use capital letters, finger spaces and full stops and draw detailed pictures.

Calvin and Lucy did a great job!

Our sound focus this week have been the letter ‘g’. We made glittery golden g’s by gluing and sticking. Don’t they look gggggggg great!

As part of our Scotland learning, we found out about Scotland’s national flower, the Thistle. We looked at pictures and used describing words to say what we saw. We used pastels to blend the colours together to create a our own thistles.

Brendan said – I liked drawing the spiky flowers and I really liked making the spikes.

We learned a bit more about Scotland today from being part of an audience with the Scottish Opera. It was fantastic!

Kayleigh – I liked the opera, especially the songs. I was very proud of Ryan.

Maison – I liked the fighting scenes.

Scarlet – I liked when they showed off the baby Prince Charlie at the end.

A great big thank you to Ethan’s Granny who kindly planted a French Marigold for the class. We are going to take turns to water and care for it in the classroom. We are going on a name for our plant next week.

A special mention needs to go to Lucy and Grandma this week, who presented the class with an outstanding piece of homework. Lucy made a book for the class library called ‘Biff, Chip, Kipper, Mum and Dad – Halloween’ based on her class reading book, Fancy Dress. Well done Lucy and Grandma we really enjoyed reading it.

Hello everyone,

This afternoon P4 have just been to watch our upper school perform with members of the Scottish Opera organisation. It was a fantastic performance and the class were very impressed with their efforts, particularly the fact that it was put together in such a short time.

We have been learning to convert between analogue and digital time in maths and the class are making good progress with this. It would be great if they could continue to work on this at home as this would help pupils become more confident in their abilities.

We have continued to develop our skills in persuasive writing. This week our theme was whether or not children should use social media and computer games. As you can imagine this provoked lots of discussion and pupils gave some strong arguments for their point of view. For our final session in persuasive writing our class will pair up with a buddy from P3/4 and they will produce a joint piece of writing. We hope that they can learn from each other and share their ideas. The class have asked that we do creative story writing next for which we will also do some pair writing sessions.

This week we looked at some videos of early Livingston and discussed the reason the town was built. Pupils recognised lots of different locations, though there were a few giggles at the hairstyles and fashions of the time! The class were put into groups to role play a family coming to settle in the area and the pupils really enjoyed this activity, as well as gaining more of an insight into the event.