The buying process is very similar to the purchase of any ICT equipment currently:
- Contact email@example.com or IT@clacks.gov.uk with an email outlining your requirements, and request a copy of the latest XMA “National Framework” pdf
- Use the sample excel spreadsheet to calculate the cost of one or more devices, noting the support ‘conditions’ below.
- Submit your cost-centre with the completed excel spreadsheet to the helpdesk and ask them to buy the devices on your behalf. *Please specify whether the devices will be used by staff or pupils*
What is mandatory, and what is optional, as specified on the spreadsheet?
- All mobile devices should be laser asset tagged to reduce the chance of theft.
- All mobile devices should be bought with a sturdy case to protect them from damage
- All Apple devices, by default, will be enrolled in DEP
- A set of ‘core-apps’ will charged for, and added by default.
The mandatory items ensure that you get a device delivered to you that is already set up and ready to be used in classes.
- There are options to buy insurance and extended warranty for devices.
- There are options to buy connectors to link your iPad(s) to class projectors etc, and an option to buy Apple TV to connect your devices together.
- There are other options for storage and charging.
Please seek advice on which of the optional items you may/may not need.
What happens next?
- The helpdesk will place your order according to the details on the spreadsheet and charge costs to your cost-centre.
- Apple will supply the iPads (through XMA) pre-enrolled in DEP*.
- When the iPads arrive they will be placed into an MDM** (Mobile Device Management) system, which is linked to your school, and your school’s Wi-Fi.
- The technicians will push the core-apps to the devices and ensure that the iPads are ready for use in your particular school.
- The iPads will be delivered to your school.
The timescale depends on the number of devices and other demands.
What else do I need to know?
- Devices like iPads are intended to be ‘mobile’. This increases the chance of being dropped. A sturdy case reduces the chance of damage if dropped. A case is mandatory, and we recommend only two types of case: Under normal circumstances, we suggest the STM rugged case, and for more extreme protection the Griffin Survivor can protect against more challenging circumstances. Examples might include taking an iPad out for field trips or Geo-caching. Choose your case, based on intended use.
- Devices like iPads are currently very desirable and hence ‘steal-able’. A combination of laser etched asset tagging, DEP* and MDM** ensures that a stolen device is almost worthless to thieves. Asset tagging is therefore mandatory to protect a school’s assets.
Setting up a set of iPads requires a lot of ‘hidden’ work. Some of this is explained below:
- *DEP – Device Enrolment Programme – is a security solution provided by Apple at the hardware level. DEP prevents iPads from being stolen and then reset or jailbroken. Any attempt at resetting the device will fail. Consequently, a stolen device will not be able to be used illegally, and hence have little second-hand value. All Apple devices bought through the helpdesk come enrolled in DEP as standard now.
- **MDM – Mobile Device Management – is a software tool that is used to manage (principally) iPads remotely. It gives technicians the scope to deploy apps and settings (profiles) to multiple devices simultaneously and to control, improve the experience of users without having to bring all the devices ‘back in to the centre’.
- One of the greatest strengths of Android and iOS iPads is the almost limitless extent of educational apps that can support a learner. Equally, the biggest challenge facing schools when starting with iPads is trying to decide which apps to install. Quickly, the pedagogy can be compromised if an ‘app comparison’ takes over. Instead, it is critical that we remain focussed on the learning and the desired outcome (improved feedback, personalised learning etc) and then look for the apps to achieve our ambitions. The core-apps that are provided as standard, and those you pay for as part of an iPad purchase will act as a backbone to learning and teaching using iPads.
- We recommend you do not download more apps until you are confidently delivering effective learning & teaching using the apps provided.
Profiles and Restrictions
As part of the MDM, we are able to enforce restrictions (particularly within iPads) that limit the capability of pupils and/or teachers using Mobile Devices. Some restrictions will prove to be desirable (to reduce distractions), while others will be unhelpful. We have settled upon a fairly simple set of restrictions that should work for most circumstances. If you experience difficulties, please seek help and advice – we are at a very early stage with profiles.
The Stirling & Clackmannanshire Education Service 20#20 Excellence in Learning Technology Vision is one of high achievement, attainment, ambition and inclusion, promoting excellence for all our children and young people across Stirling and Clackmannanshire through the use of 21st century learning technologies.