Mandy Wan |

Over the span of 25 excruciating years, BBC Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis has been subjected to countless obsessive letters and emails all from one man: Edward Vines.

Recently, the 46 year old man has been found guilty of breaching a restraining order at Oxford crown court.

As the story goes, Maitlis and him met at Cambridge’s Queens’ College during 1989. Only several months later, he professed his love for her – only to be rejected. Dejection prevailed, although Vines claims that the two were close until an aspect of her ‘changed’:

We remained friends throughout the whole of the Easter term. She wrote to me over the Easter holidays – letters which I still have. But in April it changed dramatically, in my eyes. She appeared not to want to see me. She occasionally put me down in small ways, but nonetheless hurtful ways.

The dismissal supposedly formed a number of Vines’ mental health problems and an overwhelming desire to seek out why their relationship had suddenly died.

During 2002, he was charged for harassment due to his volatile behavior which caused a concerned Maitlis to contact the police. Then, in 2009, Vines received a restraining order after persistently attempting to communicate with her despite the opposing party’s disinterest.

Earlier this month, the court has sentenced him guilty of violating the order after mailing the journalist and her mother twice during the summer of 2015.

The judge, Peter Ross, states his opinion upon the events:

Putting it bluntly, you’ve never had any reasonable case to contact Ms Maitlis following the order. You have what appears to me a completely unshakable obsession, underpinned by a couple delusion with regards to the relationship that had existed between you and Ms Maitlis. That’s absolutely clear in the letters you have written to her.

What is more, he adds:

You have known for 25 years that this woman wants nothing to do with you. You’ve plagued her life and the life of her family.

Whilst Maitlis was not present during the trial, a statement recited on her behalf revealed that the letters has unsettled her greatly. Moreover, apprehension and unease plagued her mind as she agonized on the safety of her family.

Prior to his sentencing, Vines blatantly refused to cease his tireless efforts of contact if convicted. In an attempt of justification, he said:

I will never contact them again if I’m defeated rationally in court – and I cannot say I have been today.

Unimpressed, the judge responded:

That is not the unambiguous assurance I was seeking.

Vines appeared to be indifferent on the verdict, instead replying with:

If I was on the panel, I would agree based on the way the case was presented by my defense.

Share this Post