Erin Seils|

Ronnie Corbett was one half of comedy duo – “The Two Ronnies”. Although best  known for his long running role in BBC comedy sketch show “The Two Ronnies” with the other Ronnie – Ronnie Barker – he was also a stand up comedian, actor, writer and broadcaster.

Unfortunately, the 85 year old much loved comic passed away on the morning of the 31st of March in hospital with his family by his side – his wife of over 50 years, Anne Hart and their two daughters, Emma and Sophie – after being diagnosed with a suspected form of motor neurone disease.

The comedy icon’s funeral took place just a few days ago on the 18th of April. Some famous faces attended the service held in St John the Evangelist Church near his home in Shirley, Croydon, south London. Among the mourners were, close friend of Corbett Sir Michael Parkinson, Britain’s got Talent judge and author of various children’s books David Walliams, comedians Jimmy Tarbuck and Rob Brydon and comedy writer Barry Cryer, who worked with Ronnie Corbett for many years.

Many who attended the service paid tribute to the treasured entertainer.

His daughter Emma made a short speech during the funeral,

“My dad was truly loved. Yes, by the world – and as a family we have felt that, with so many kind gestures and flowers and thoughts – but however today is not about Ronnie Corbett the national treasure – it’s about Ronnie Corbett the husband, the father, the grandfather and the friend. He was loved and cherished and it is an enormous honour to be his daughter. His integrity, kindness, style and grace were ever present and never left him, even in death. For someone known for being short, he would stand next to me seven foot tall.”

Barry Cryer, who has known the star almost as long as Ronnie Corbett and his wife were married, said,

“I can’t think of him without smiling… I’m here and tipping my hat to him.”

Rob Brydon complimented Corbett saying,

“People’s faces would light up when they saw him, he just brought happiness.”

Jimmy Tarbuck spoke about Ronnie Corbett, CBE.

“He was much loved. Very correct guy, very funny fellow. Disciplinarian – I think that was because he was an officer in the RAF but he was great company. I mean, he was a terrific laugh. Dreadful giggler. He used to get me at it when we worked together.”

Tarbuck also said that he was  “much loved, and should have been knighted”.

While most of  would think of Corbett as a very funny man who was constantly making people laugh, Canon Arthur Quinn, who conducted the service, remembered him a little differently than others. He said a little about his more serious side.

“In all those years, he told me one joke which I’m not going to repeat. He was really a very serious man. We talked about all sorts of things, including religion.”

The funeral itself really represented Corbett. From the pair of glasses placed on a wreath resembling Corbett’s famous pair, to the four candles set behind the altar referencing the well-known Two Ronnies sketch, “Four candles/fork handles”.

Sir Michael spoke about the service saying that it “hit exactly the right note”.

“It was the least showbizzy funeral I’ve been to.  He wasn’t a very showbiz person in that sense.  He was unaffected by fame and recognition. It didn’t bother him. What you saw was what you got and as a guy to be a friend of he was just unbeatable”

Share this Post