Erin Seils | 

As a Facebook fanatic, Instagram addict, Whatsapp worshiper and Netflix nut, it is difficult for me to admit that technology isn’t always beneficial to our society. However, I am very aware that all may not agree with me.

Many people trust storing personal information on their own devices. People use the notes on their phone on a daily basis. Some people use this to remember simple things such as a shopping list but some people may store more sensitive information here, such as passwords and possibly even the pin for their bank account. Security has been improved in mobile phones over the past few years, with finger scanning becoming the normal way to unlock your phone. However, even with these developments hackers are still able to access information if they want to.

Cyber-bullying has been a problem since social media first appeared and it is much easier for people to be a victim or a perpetrator because it is now particularly easy to access anything on a phone that we can on a computer or laptop. While the portability of such technology can be great for safety , it also makes it very difficult  to get away from bullies online.

Laptops, computers, tablets,  smart phones, smart TVs. All of these put the world at our fingertips, with the internet only a click or tap away. The internet is an amazing thing and I couldn’t imagine my life without it. I often use it for researching things for school and I use social media every day.

But,  because the internet is so full of interesting information and is such a great source of entertainment, when we need to get away from it, to study for example, it can be very difficult. The increased availability via the 4G network only exacerbates the problem.

Although, like many people, I always carry my phone with me, I think it is important that we do not become overly attached to our phones as they seem to be becoming an extra limb. Phones may be an excellent way to be social but they can also be very anti-social as people do not discuss things, sometimes people’s eyes seem to be glued to their screens. Belgium have even set up texting lanes for pedestrians in an attempt to prevent injury while texting!

Even after learning more about the  disadvantageous and even dangerous side to technology , I still believe that there more pros than cons and that the modern world would be nothing without it. As long as we make sure to never reveal any personal information online or through the phone, are careful about what we store on our devices and don’t let technology become a permanent feature of our hands, technology can be extremely useful, interesting and most importantly , fun!

Share this Post