Stephanie English |

For many years, I misunderstood the meaning of feminism. I believed it to mean disgruntled or angry women against all men. However, on 20 September last year, Emma Watson made a speech at the United Nations Headquarters, launching a campaign called “HeForShe” which clarified the true meaning of feminism: “The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.” I realised then that feminism was simply another word for equality.

I have been lucky to grow up believing that I can achieve anything I set my mind to; I am not limited in any way because I am female. However, there are many others who are not so lucky. Across Africa and the Middle East, an average 50% of women believe domestic violence is justified in certain circumstances. In places like Niger or Mali, over half of girls between 15 and 19 are married. This environment obstructs women from getting an education and therefore contributing to their country’s progress and development. It is immeasurably unjust that these women are told they are inferior to men, that they do not deserve an equal chance in life because of their sex.

“If we stop defining each other by what we are not and start defining ourselves by what we are—we can all be freer and this is what HeForShe is about. It’s about freedom.”- Emma Watson.

This makes me realise how fortunate I am. Things that I considered to be customary, I now recognize to be a hard fought for privilege; that my sister and I have always been treated as equal to my brother, and that my education has never been limited because I am a girl. It is therefore my wish that men and women continue to stand up for feminism, so that one day, all girls can receive the same rights and opportunities that I have grown up with. Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive and strong. Men should no longer feel the need to be the commander just as women should not feel obligated to be commanded. If you believe in these ideas of equality, then you are already a feminist.

Share this Post