Under the Sea 15.06.20

Good morning Room 6!

I got a lovely surprise in the post on Friday! What feels like ages ago now, I ordered some baby caterpillars online for us to observe and they finally arrived on Friday. There must’ve been a hold up due to everything being on lockdown, but finally they have arrived! I ordered them so that we could observe the life-cycle of a butterfly since we have been thinking about life-cycles in our topic. They have already doubled in size since Friday as they are very busy munching on the caterpillar food in their container. I will keep you updated with weekly photos. They aren’t likely to turn into butterflies until during the summer holidays, but I will keep posting here. We have 5 in total. Can anyone think of some names for them? They measure about 1cm today. I wonder what they will measure this time next week?

This week in our Under the Sea topic, Im asking you to think about food chains.Watch this short clip explaining what a food chain is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuKs9o1s8h8

Now lets think about food chains in the ocean. What do you think will be at the bottom of the food chain?  ie, what is eaten by ocean creatures but doesn’t eat anything? (Have a guess!) What kind of creatures do you think are at the top of the food chain in the ocean?

Have a look at this PowerPoint about food chains in the ocean. It asks you to sort cards that you can print off – but you could always draw or write the name of sea creatures on paper rather than printing if you don’t have access to a printer.

You can use the template on the PP to make your own oceanic food chains, and please share them with me!

t-t-252863-under-the-sea-food-chains-powerpoint_ver_3

Key words to know and understand are: herbivore, carnivore and omnivore. Which one are we humans? Where are humans in any food chain?

If you are interested in food chains and predators then have a look at the national geographic: https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/primary-resource/predators-primary-resource/

As you have probably noticed, the National Geographic Kids website is one of my favourite sources of information for things related to the natural world. Not everything you read on the internet is reliable, but this website is super.

As always, well done on all your effort in Study Ladder! I will organise work for the last time this week on it, as this is our last full week of term. (I can’t believe it!) Who is going to complete every activity I have set on Study Ladder? There’s a wee challenge for you : ) All the teachers are getting ready for  the children to come back to school in August, and we can’t wait to see you all in person and hear all your chatter once more.

One last thing. If you see me out and about please say hello! I might not know all of your faces since I haven’t been teaching in your classroom, but I know all of your names and have enjoyed getting messages and emails from all of you at some time or another. I think I may have seen someone smiling at me on Viewpark Drive last week when I was out with Arran, Ena and Lottie. I wondered if it was one of you? Give me a wee shout and a wave if you know me. We are always out on walks round Burnside.

Have a great week room 6. Work hard, play hard and keep smiling!!!

Mrs Mirner : )

One thought on “Under the Sea 15.06.20

1. It might have been Jack, that’s where we live. We’ll definitely say hello next time! We loved the Under the Sea powerpoint.