Home learning w.c 15.6.20

Good morning girls and boys,

I hope you are all well and had a lovely weekend. Yesterday was lovely wasn’t it? I’m missing you all very much and can’t quite believe this is our last full week of school before the summer holidays!

This week is going to be a very busy week for us at Burnside with both Sports Week and Burnside’s Got Talent taking place.

Sports Week

SPORTS WEEK

Although we can’t be together this year for our annual Sports Day event, we are looking forward to taking part in an even bigger Sports WEEK.

This week, we will be posting a different sports day activity each day both on here and on twitter/school app and we are challenging as many pupils (and staff & parents) to take part as possible! Of course, we will want to see that you have joined in so during w/c 15th June, please e-mail your photos to gw18burnsidephotos@glow.sch.uk adding ‘Sports Week’ as well as your child’s name and class in the subject box.

I might try and get Mani and Lubo involved too, although I’m not sure if they are very good at listening to instructions yet.

Monday’s activities:

All family members can take part:

1. Egg and spoon race

Resources – spoon, hard boiled eggs for each player or a small ball for each player, stop watch.

Aim – run from a starting point to the finishing point with the ‘egg’ on the spoon.

Mark out an area for the race. You can do a double journey to make it longer.

Option 1 – All players run at the same time.

Option 2 – Each player runs separately against the clock. Shortest time wins

You choose – If you drop the egg should you return to the start or keep going.

Points –                    1st – 3 points    2nd – 2 points     3rd – 1 point

1. Sock Toss

Resources – 5 pairs of socks and a bucket

Aim – throw the socks in the bucket from a short distance

Points – 1 point for each pair of socks that land in the bucket

Good luck!!

Burnside’s Got Talent

Do you have a talent you would love to share with us?

It’s finally here, the event of the year, Burnside’s Got Talent! We are asking your parents/carers to tweet videos/photos  of you performing your special talent to @burnsideprim. Mrs McGarvey will then retweet these so everyone can see them. No need to email videos or photos. There is a certificate on the app for parents to download and present to you on our behalf.

Mrs Mirner and I can’t wait to see the room 6 gang showing off their talents and sporting skills so please if you can get involved.

As we are getting closer to the summer holidays and so much further from the last time we were with each other in school, I can imagine it is getting harder to concentrate on school work. That is OK and it’s only normal to feel that way for both you guys and your parents. As always just do what you can this week and as always the most important thing is you are all happy and healthy.

Literacy:

I have attached some activities below. If you can print them off then that’s great but if you don’t have access to a printer remember you can just work from the screen and write your answers in your jotter or on a piece of paper.

• Reading

Please keep reading either using the your own personal reading books, Oxford Owl tab on glow, this free book website that I had share before or any other resource you have.

https://readon.myon.co.uk/library/browse.html

• Reading comprehension

End of Plastic Pollution comprehension

This reading comprehension activity is about ending plastic pollution which is an important issue for our Under the Sea topic. Can each group please do the following sheets (star is at the bottom of each sheet);

Kinneys *

Dahls **

Ròs & Rowlings ***

You might need an adult to help you with some of this and remember the answers are included so be careful not to peek before your finished.

• Writing

I have attached a lovely writing frame for a Summer Sensory Poem that will be sure to get everyone in the mood for the summer holidays.

summer-sensory-poem-activity-sheet

• Summer Literacy booklet

Dahls and Kinneys Summer Literacy Activity Booklet

Ròs and Rowlings Summer Literacy Activity Booklet

I’ve attached a summer themed literacy booklet which has a range of activities included. I thought you might want to give some of them a try. Most you will be able to work your way through them on your own however you might need an adult to help with explaining some bits to you.

I’ve attached the answers below so you can mark your work once your done. Remember can also choose what order you do these tasks in and if any are too tricky then don’t worry just move on, there is plenty you can do.

Dahls and Kinney’s Summer Literacy Activity Booklet Answers

Ròs and Rowlings Summer Literacy Activity Booklet Answers

Numeracy:

Mental maths

• Access ‘DK 10 minute a day’ app to practise your tables. You will need to download this app from your app store first.
  • Visit easi-maths on your glow page and complete 3 x 20 minute sessions.
  • Go onto Studyladder and complete some of the number activities set. (See Mrs Mirner’s post)
  • Revise ‘learn its’ in tab at top of blog.

• Subtraction sums

Circles subtraction worksheet

Triangles subtraction worksheet

Sqaures subtraction worksheet

• Summer code cracker

This is a fun maths challenge that requires you to think about place value. The answers are at the end and if each group could do the following sheet (star shown at bottom). You could even colour in the pictures once you are done if you like.

Circles *

Triangles**

Squares ***

crack-the-code-summer-activity-sheets

Other:

As its looking unlikely that many of us will get a summer holiday abroad this year I have attached some lovely summer themed mindfulness colouring sheets for you to print off. You could do as many as you want and you might want to decorate your house with them so to bring those holiday feels!

summer-mindfulness-colouring-pages

Summer Mindfulness Colouring Sheets 2

Have a lovely week girls and boys and as always if you need anything then just let me or Mrs Mirner know.  We are really looking forward to seeing all your Sports Week and Burnside’s Got Talent videos and photos so please remember to send or tweet them in.

Lots of love

Mrs Graham x